Yasiel Puig is being sued for $12 million

Jul 19, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig AP

Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times is reporting that Dodgers outfielder and Cuban sensation Yasiel Puig is being sued for $12 million dollars. Miguel Angel Corbacho Daudinot says he received a seven-year jail sentence for false allegations made by Puig. Daudinot filed a complaint in a district court in Florida for “prolonged arbitrary detention and torture”.

Hernandez with some more details:

Puig and his mother testified in a 2010 trial in which Corbacho Daudinot was convicted of human trafficking – basically, of plotting Puig’s escape from Cuba. Corbacho Daudinot denies he ever offered to help Puig defect.

Corbacho Daudinot alleges that Puig knowingly made false claims against him to demonstrate allegiance to the Cuban government, and be reinstated in the country’s top baseball league and national-team program. According to the suit, Puig was demoted to his Cuban league team’s developmental squad because the government suspected him of wanting to flee the island.

The lawyers representing Corbacho Daudinot filed similar lawsuits last year against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Aroldis Chapman on behalf of different plaintiffs.

Puig is in the second year of a seven-year, $42 million contract with the Dodgers. He received a $12 million signing bonus, earned $2 million last year, and will earn another $2 million for the 2013 season.

1. seanb20124 - Jul 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Seems like jurisdiction should be in Havana Federal Court

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM

The article discusses that, there is a federal law they are invoking, effectively claiming Puig acted as a agent for Cuba.

Not claiming they are right – just noting what they are citing

• baseballer28 - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that if this happened on Cuban soil (foreign territory), the US courts will not and cannot give one shit about this.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I am not a lawyer either – but read the article and Google the law they are talking about. U.S. Courts have indeed sided with plaintiffs who argued crimes commited overseas.

Not saying this case has merit or will prevail tough

• anxovies - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I used to be a lawyer before I retired and from my memory witnesses have a common law immunity, and in some states a statutory immunity, from civil suit for things said under oath unless it can be proved that any untrue statement was made maliciously, and with the intent to harm a person. This protects witnesses from lawsuits where their testimony was made in good faith but incorrect, such as in cases of mistakenly identifying a criminal defendant. You can imagine the chilling effect the threat of a lawsuit would have on a witness if it was otherwise. For obvious reasons judges are very reluctant to allow these kinds of lawsuits to proceed unless there is extremely strong proof of malice and intent. It sounds like lawyers trying to get a settlement from wealthy ballplayers so that they will go away. Welcome to America, Yasiel.

• sillec28 - Jul 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Lawyers trying to get a settlement from wealthy ballplayers? I didn’t think the lawyer was the plaintiff, I thought he or she had a client on whose behalf the suit was filed. Didn’t the client have anything to say about filing the suit?

2. rbj1 - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Sue the Castro brothers. If it’s me or you against John Gotti, well, good luck to you. Castros have Swiss bank accounts (or elsewhere.)

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Well – if what they are saying is true (and I have nor reason to believe it is), then this all started at Puigs behest.

3. dowhatifeellike - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Sure, the timing is suspicious… but if I were going to sue someone, and I knew he had a bunch of money coming to him, I’d wait until he got it first.

4. tfbuckfutter - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Speaking of Cubans, my girlfriend’s mother makes $86 an hour selling cuban sandwiches on the internet.

Find out how you can too at Cubansandwichesforfinancialfreedom.angelfire.net

5. Walk - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM

Daudinot was convicted in court so i really do not see how puig can be sued. Seems like he is asking a us court to overturn a Cuban case. I have little knowledge in law like this, maybe bill might ask craig if this is possible for a us court to do. The first thing i would do as puigs lawyer is have that court case read into evidence, seems like both sides would want it. One to prove it a lie and the other to argue it as a legal and actual fact. Perhaps someone can point me to a similar case?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Google the law – Torture Victim Protection Act. There have been succesful cases claiming torture overseas.

Doesn’t mean this case will have the same result though

6. ansleyiu - Jul 20, 2013 at 4:54 AM

my roomate’s mother-in-law makes $70 an hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her ine was $18584 just workinggo to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://tinyurl.com/makemony5

• tfbuckfutter - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:40 PM

HEY!

I already spammed this thread!

• bigdicktater - Nov 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Oh, was that Spam in that Cuban sandwich your girlfriend’s mother sold me on the interwebs?

7. gibbyfan - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

If the Dodgers have this guy locked up for seven years at 42 million—kudos to them on that deal

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3464)