Jul 19, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Zoilo Almonte left tonight’s game against the Red Sox before the bottom of the fifth inning due to a sprained left ankle. While Luis Cruz took his spot in the lineup and Alberto Gonzalez took his spot in left field, Almonte had x-rays taken on his ankle, which came back negative. According to Bryan Hoch, manager Joe Girardi says Almonte will be placed on the disabled list.
The Yankees dropped tonight’s game 4-2 as they lose yet another player to the disabled list. Curtis Granderson is expected to start a rehab assignment some time in the next week to ten days, but you have to wonder if the Yankees will add an outfielder to their shopping list as they approach the July 31 trade deadline. There was some speculation that Alex Rodriguez would take Almonte’s roster spot, but Andrew Marchand says that will not be the case.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)