Jul 19, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Zoilo Almonte left tonight’s game against the Red Sox before the bottom of the fifth inning due to a sprained left ankle. While Luis Cruz took his spot in the lineup and Alberto Gonzalez took his spot in left field, Almonte had x-rays taken on his ankle, which came back negative. According to Bryan Hoch, manager Joe Girardi says Almonte will be placed on the disabled list.
The Yankees dropped tonight’s game 4-2 as they lose yet another player to the disabled list. Curtis Granderson is expected to start a rehab assignment some time in the next week to ten days, but you have to wonder if the Yankees will add an outfielder to their shopping list as they approach the July 31 trade deadline. There was some speculation that Alex Rodriguez would take Almonte’s roster spot, but Andrew Marchand says that will not be the case.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)