Jul 19, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Zoilo Almonte left tonight’s game against the Red Sox before the bottom of the fifth inning due to a sprained left ankle. While Luis Cruz took his spot in the lineup and Alberto Gonzalez took his spot in left field, Almonte had x-rays taken on his ankle, which came back negative. According to Bryan Hoch, manager Joe Girardi says Almonte will be placed on the disabled list.
The Yankees dropped tonight’s game 4-2 as they lose yet another player to the disabled list. Curtis Granderson is expected to start a rehab assignment some time in the next week to ten days, but you have to wonder if the Yankees will add an outfielder to their shopping list as they approach the July 31 trade deadline. There was some speculation that Alex Rodriguez would take Almonte’s roster spot, but Andrew Marchand says that will not be the case.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)