Jul 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
White Sox manager Robin Ventura benched outfielder Alex Rios after failing to run out a ground ball double play in yesterday’s 6-4 loss to the Braves. Prior to this afternoon’s game, when he went 3-for-5 with five RBI including a grand slam, he had been scuffling, posting a .367 OPS since his 6-for-6 game against the Tigers on July 9.
Rios told the media he would have preferred Ventura pull him aside privately to discuss the matter, rather than make a public example out of him. From MLB.com’s Scott Merkin:
“If he wants to make a statement for the team, it probably worked,” Rios added. “I don’t know what his intentions were. But that’s what I wanted to see.”
Ventura didn’t respond harshly to Rios’ critique. In a matter-of-fact but direct tone, Ventura said the moment was handled and you go from there. He also understood Rios’ request for the one-on-one admonishment, but made the basic point that physical errors are acceptable, but the same can’t be said for lack of hustle.
“Again, you’re handling it for 25 guys,” Ventura said. “I get where he’s coming from, but from where I’m coming, he probably understands how I have to do it.
No matter the case, Rios may have a new manager before the beginning of August. His sudden disappearance last night prompted many to speculate that the Pirates and White Sox had agreed to a trade, and several other teams — including the Red Sox — have been linked to him recently as well. Rios, 32, is earning $12.5 million this year, will earn another $12.5 million in 2014, and has a $13.5 million club option with a $1 million buyout for 2015.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)