Jul 20, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
In news that throws cold water on speculation about contenders pursuing Aramis Ramirez as their new third baseman, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll be on the disabled list for at least another 10-14 days.
Ramirez is recovering from a left knee injury that’s been an issue since spring training and Rosenthal’s reported timetable would rule out a trade before the July 31 deadline. Ramirez could still be moved in August, assuming he comes back healthy and looks like his old self, but at that point the Brewers would need him to pass through waivers unclaimed or be limited to negotiating with the team that claimed him.
Ramirez is signed for next season at $16 million, plus a mutual option or $4 million buyout for 2015, so some teams might be unwilling to assume that whole salary in a waiver claim for a 35-year-old.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 3
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86