Jul 20, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
In news that throws cold water on speculation about contenders pursuing Aramis Ramirez as their new third baseman, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll be on the disabled list for at least another 10-14 days.
Ramirez is recovering from a left knee injury that’s been an issue since spring training and Rosenthal’s reported timetable would rule out a trade before the July 31 deadline. Ramirez could still be moved in August, assuming he comes back healthy and looks like his old self, but at that point the Brewers would need him to pass through waivers unclaimed or be limited to negotiating with the team that claimed him.
Ramirez is signed for next season at $16 million, plus a mutual option or $4 million buyout for 2015, so some teams might be unwilling to assume that whole salary in a waiver claim for a 35-year-old.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)