Jul 20, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
In news that throws cold water on speculation about contenders pursuing Aramis Ramirez as their new third baseman, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll be on the disabled list for at least another 10-14 days.
Ramirez is recovering from a left knee injury that’s been an issue since spring training and Rosenthal’s reported timetable would rule out a trade before the July 31 deadline. Ramirez could still be moved in August, assuming he comes back healthy and looks like his old self, but at that point the Brewers would need him to pass through waivers unclaimed or be limited to negotiating with the team that claimed him.
Ramirez is signed for next season at $16 million, plus a mutual option or $4 million buyout for 2015, so some teams might be unwilling to assume that whole salary in a waiver claim for a 35-year-old.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 42
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 84
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)