Jul 20, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
In news that throws cold water on speculation about contenders pursuing Aramis Ramirez as their new third baseman, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he’ll be on the disabled list for at least another 10-14 days.
Ramirez is recovering from a left knee injury that’s been an issue since spring training and Rosenthal’s reported timetable would rule out a trade before the July 31 deadline. Ramirez could still be moved in August, assuming he comes back healthy and looks like his old self, but at that point the Brewers would need him to pass through waivers unclaimed or be limited to negotiating with the team that claimed him.
Ramirez is signed for next season at $16 million, plus a mutual option or $4 million buyout for 2015, so some teams might be unwilling to assume that whole salary in a waiver claim for a 35-year-old.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)