Jul 20, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
Matt Holliday had hoped that the All-Star break would give his hamstring injury enough time to heal, but he remained out of the lineup yesterday and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list.
St. Louis figures to keep using Allen Craig in left field, with Matt Adams taking over for him at first base. Adams has been fantastic in a part-time role all season, hitting .316 with seven homers and a .916 OPS in 148 plate appearances. Call-up (and minor league journeyman) Brock Peterson could also see some action after hitting a Pacific Coast League-leading 22 homers.
Holliday hasn’t been quite his usual self at the plate, hitting just .268 after topping a .290 batting average in each of his first nine seasons, but he did have 13 homers, 15 doubles, and an .800 OPS in 83 games.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)