Jul 20, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Matt Holliday had hoped that the All-Star break would give his hamstring injury enough time to heal, but he remained out of the lineup yesterday and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list.
St. Louis figures to keep using Allen Craig in left field, with Matt Adams taking over for him at first base. Adams has been fantastic in a part-time role all season, hitting .316 with seven homers and a .916 OPS in 148 plate appearances. Call-up (and minor league journeyman) Brock Peterson could also see some action after hitting a Pacific Coast League-leading 22 homers.
Holliday hasn’t been quite his usual self at the plate, hitting just .268 after topping a .290 batting average in each of his first nine seasons, but he did have 13 homers, 15 doubles, and an .800 OPS in 83 games.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)