Jul 20, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
Matt Holliday had hoped that the All-Star break would give his hamstring injury enough time to heal, but he remained out of the lineup yesterday and now the Cardinals have placed him on the disabled list.
St. Louis figures to keep using Allen Craig in left field, with Matt Adams taking over for him at first base. Adams has been fantastic in a part-time role all season, hitting .316 with seven homers and a .916 OPS in 148 plate appearances. Call-up (and minor league journeyman) Brock Peterson could also see some action after hitting a Pacific Coast League-leading 22 homers.
Holliday hasn’t been quite his usual self at the plate, hitting just .268 after topping a .290 batting average in each of his first nine seasons, but he did have 13 homers, 15 doubles, and an .800 OPS in 83 games.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 46
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)