Jul 20, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
2013 was supposed to be the year of Oscar Taveras. He entered the season rated the #3 overall prospect by both Baseball America and MLB.com and was coming off of a season in which he decimated Double-A pitching at the age of 20. Some thought he would become a mainstay of the Cardinal offense by midseason, but an ankle injury suffered in mid-May with Triple-A Memphis put the kibosh on that.
Taveras returned from the injury on June 8 and played in 15 games before having to be shut down for the second time. He began a rehab assignment in the Gulf Coast League on July 15 and got shut down a third time after just two at-bats. Now, Derrick Goold is reporting that the Cardinals are shutting him down for the next ten days, barring him from any running activity.
The Cardinals had to place Matt Holliday on the disabled list earlier with a hamstring injury, so Allen Craig will get considerably more time in left field rather than first base. Matt Adams will get more consistent playing time at first base.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)