Jul 20, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Astros lefty Erik Bedard brought a no-hitter into the seventh inning, but ran into a bit of trouble and a high pitch count. After Bedard walked Justin Smoak with one out (Bedard’s fifth walk of the evening), manager Bo Porter wasn’t willing to let him go beyond 111 pitches, replacing him with Jose Cisnero. Cisnero ran into a bit of trouble himself after recording the second out, walking Mike Zunino, then allowing the Mariners their first hit, a Michael Saunders two-run double that landed on Tal’s Hill.
Mariners starter Hisashi Iwakuma threw a scoreless seventh, Charlie Furbush tossed a scoreless eighth, and Tom Wilhelmsen nailed down the 4-2 victory in the ninth inning. Bedard becomes the ninth pitcher since 1901 to go at least six innings, allow no hits, and receive a loss. The last pitcher to do it was Jered Weaver in 2008 against the Dodgers.
|Jered Weaver||2008-06-28||LAA||LAD||L 0-1||GS-6 ,L||6.0||0||1||0|
|Matt Young||1992-04-12 (1)||BOS||CLE||L 1-2||CG 8 ,L||8.0||0||2||2|
|Andy Hawkins||1990-07-01||NYY||CHW||L 0-4||CG 8 ,L||8.0||0||4||0|
|Don Wilson||1974-09-04||HOU||CIN||L 1-2||GS-8 ,L||8.0||0||2||0|
|Clay Kirby||1970-07-21||SDP||NYM||L 0-3||GS-8 ,L||8.0||0||1||1|
|Steve Barber||1967-04-30 (1)||BAL||DET||L 1-2||GS-9 ,L||8.2||0||2||1|
|Ken Johnson||1964-04-23||HOU||CIN||L 0-1||CG 9 ,L||9.0||0||1||0|
|Bob Shawkey||1917-07-04 (2)||NYY||WSH||L 4-5||7.0||0||1||0|
Erik Bedard pulled with unusual stat line– 1st pitcher to throw 6+ IP, allow at least 2 runs and no hits since Matt Young, 1992 Red Sox
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 21, 2013
Also of note, Kyle Seager‘s 15-game hitting streak came to an end, as did the Mariners’ streak of 23 consecutive games with a home run.
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 0
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)