Jul 20, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Marlins arrived in Milwaukee to open up the second half after showing some signs of competence in June and early July. They were 15-41 after a June 1 victory, won 20 of their next 37 games, and went into the All-Star break 35-58. However, they dropped last night’s game against the Brewers 2-0, and were shut out again tonight 6-0. They haven’t scored since the fourth inning on July 14’s ten-inning affair against the Nationals, bringing their scoreless-inning streak to 24 innings.
The Brewers entered tonight’s game tied with the Padres for the worst starting rotation ERA in the National League at 4.80. But Kyle Lohse for seven innings last night and Yovani Gallardo for 6.1 innings tonight proved to be too much for the Marlins, who entered the game with the league’s worst offense averaging 3.26 runs per game. Their run differential went down to -97 and, depending on what they do tomorrow, may join the Astros (-148) as the only two teams in the negative triple-digits.
Should the streak continue into the seventh inning, they could break the franchise record of 30 consecutive scoreless innings, set in August last year.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 11
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (109)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)