Jul 20, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Marlins arrived in Milwaukee to open up the second half after showing some signs of competence in June and early July. They were 15-41 after a June 1 victory, won 20 of their next 37 games, and went into the All-Star break 35-58. However, they dropped last night’s game against the Brewers 2-0, and were shut out again tonight 6-0. They haven’t scored since the fourth inning on July 14’s ten-inning affair against the Nationals, bringing their scoreless-inning streak to 24 innings.
The Brewers entered tonight’s game tied with the Padres for the worst starting rotation ERA in the National League at 4.80. But Kyle Lohse for seven innings last night and Yovani Gallardo for 6.1 innings tonight proved to be too much for the Marlins, who entered the game with the league’s worst offense averaging 3.26 runs per game. Their run differential went down to -97 and, depending on what they do tomorrow, may join the Astros (-148) as the only two teams in the negative triple-digits.
Should the streak continue into the seventh inning, they could break the franchise record of 30 consecutive scoreless innings, set in August last year.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)