Jul 20, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Marlins arrived in Milwaukee to open up the second half after showing some signs of competence in June and early July. They were 15-41 after a June 1 victory, won 20 of their next 37 games, and went into the All-Star break 35-58. However, they dropped last night’s game against the Brewers 2-0, and were shut out again tonight 6-0. They haven’t scored since the fourth inning on July 14′s ten-inning affair against the Nationals, bringing their scoreless-inning streak to 24 innings.
The Brewers entered tonight’s game tied with the Padres for the worst starting rotation ERA in the National League at 4.80. But Kyle Lohse for seven innings last night and Yovani Gallardo for 6.1 innings tonight proved to be too much for the Marlins, who entered the game with the league’s worst offense averaging 3.26 runs per game. Their run differential went down to -97 and, depending on what they do tomorrow, may join the Astros (-148) as the only two teams in the negative triple-digits.
Should the streak continue into the seventh inning, they could break the franchise record of 30 consecutive scoreless innings, set in August last year.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)