Jul 20, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
The Marlins arrived in Milwaukee to open up the second half after showing some signs of competence in June and early July. They were 15-41 after a June 1 victory, won 20 of their next 37 games, and went into the All-Star break 35-58. However, they dropped last night’s game against the Brewers 2-0, and were shut out again tonight 6-0. They haven’t scored since the fourth inning on July 14’s ten-inning affair against the Nationals, bringing their scoreless-inning streak to 24 innings.
The Brewers entered tonight’s game tied with the Padres for the worst starting rotation ERA in the National League at 4.80. But Kyle Lohse for seven innings last night and Yovani Gallardo for 6.1 innings tonight proved to be too much for the Marlins, who entered the game with the league’s worst offense averaging 3.26 runs per game. Their run differential went down to -97 and, depending on what they do tomorrow, may join the Astros (-148) as the only two teams in the negative triple-digits.
Should the streak continue into the seventh inning, they could break the franchise record of 30 consecutive scoreless innings, set in August last year.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (128)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)