Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
From Troy Renck of the Denver Post comes word that the Rockies have placed veteran closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list due to a case of appendicitis. The move was made retroactive to July 15, so Betancourt will be allowed to (and should) return before the end of this month.
The veteran right-hander has a 3.16 ERA through 25 2/3 innings this season as the Rockies’ ninth-inning man, and he is 15-for-16 in save opportunities.
Rex Brothers is going to fill in at closer for Colorado.
Mitchell Boggs, acquired on July 9 from the Cardinals for international-market signing money, was recalled from Double-A Tulsa in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide depth in middle relief.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 30
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 75
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 85
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)