Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
From Troy Renck of the Denver Post comes word that the Rockies have placed veteran closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list due to a case of appendicitis. The move was made retroactive to July 15, so Betancourt will be allowed to (and should) return before the end of this month.
The veteran right-hander has a 3.16 ERA through 25 2/3 innings this season as the Rockies’ ninth-inning man, and he is 15-for-16 in save opportunities.
Rex Brothers is going to fill in at closer for Colorado.
Mitchell Boggs, acquired on July 9 from the Cardinals for international-market signing money, was recalled from Double-A Tulsa in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide depth in middle relief.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)