Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
From Troy Renck of the Denver Post comes word that the Rockies have placed veteran closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list due to a case of appendicitis. The move was made retroactive to July 15, so Betancourt will be allowed to (and should) return before the end of this month.
The veteran right-hander has a 3.16 ERA through 25 2/3 innings this season as the Rockies’ ninth-inning man, and he is 15-for-16 in save opportunities.
Rex Brothers is going to fill in at closer for Colorado.
Mitchell Boggs, acquired on July 9 from the Cardinals for international-market signing money, was recalled from Double-A Tulsa in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide depth in middle relief.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)