Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
From Troy Renck of the Denver Post comes word that the Rockies have placed veteran closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list due to a case of appendicitis. The move was made retroactive to July 15, so Betancourt will be allowed to (and should) return before the end of this month.
The veteran right-hander has a 3.16 ERA through 25 2/3 innings this season as the Rockies’ ninth-inning man, and he is 15-for-16 in save opportunities.
Rex Brothers is going to fill in at closer for Colorado.
Mitchell Boggs, acquired on July 9 from the Cardinals for international-market signing money, was recalled from Double-A Tulsa in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide depth in middle relief.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 0
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)