Jul 20, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
From Troy Renck of the Denver Post comes word that the Rockies have placed veteran closer Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list due to a case of appendicitis. The move was made retroactive to July 15, so Betancourt will be allowed to (and should) return before the end of this month.
The veteran right-hander has a 3.16 ERA through 25 2/3 innings this season as the Rockies’ ninth-inning man, and he is 15-for-16 in save opportunities.
Rex Brothers is going to fill in at closer for Colorado.
Mitchell Boggs, acquired on July 9 from the Cardinals for international-market signing money, was recalled from Double-A Tulsa in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide depth in middle relief.
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 12
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 16
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 12
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 58
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 21
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)