Settling the Scores: Friday’s results

Jul 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Houston Astros Getty Images

After two horrible days without any baseball and two sub-optimal days without baseball that counted we’re finally back to normal. Fifteen games last night and games every single day until the end of October at the very least. Ahhhhh.

What the heck got into the water in Houston? Brandon Barnes went 5 for 5 and hit for the cycle. An even better night: Mariners shortstop Brad Miller who hit two homers — a two-run job and a three run job — driving in five. And I’m willing to bet only seven people watched that game.

Which is totally cool. It’s seven more people enjoying baseball than could have on Wednesday or Thursday.

Mariners 10, Astros 7
Royals 1, Tigers 0
Cubs 3, Rockies 1
Twins 3, Indians 2
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 0
Angels 4, Athletics 1

1. babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:26 AM

You actually think only 7 people watched the Mariners game? Try looking at the attendance numbers for the game and you’ll see you’re off by thousands. And that’s not even counting the thousands who watch every game on TV. Try sticking to the facts, Craig. Your absurdly low estimate makes you look foolish.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM

making your way over from yahoo i presume?

• hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Free Hernandez right? How does Florio deal with these morons? “Bang it here” for non-sensical comments.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Love the name though. Warp speed!

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I see thin-skinned Craig has already begun his usual ritual of using his site admin privileges to serially down-vote any comments, such as mine above, that are critical of him.

• cur68 - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I usually ignore the thumbs. Don’t up or down anyone. If I like a comment enough I’ll reply, if I dislike one, same thing. But you sir are asking for it. So, since you’re about as clueless as it gets, let me give you my first “down thumb” of this month. There. I’m your first one on this idiotic comment. Also, I’m pretty certain that if Craig gave a crap about your ditzy opinion he’d tell you and never mind the thumbs. I don’t know for certain, but I’m betting that ALL of your negatives were from the likes of us commenters and have to do with your tirade against what was a pretty obvious tongue in cheek post by Craig. Never heard of hyperbole, eh? Better get used to it, chuckles. Happens a lot around here.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

How are you able to hold things if you ignore thumbs? Are you able to write with a pen or pencil?

• Craig Calcaterra - Jul 20, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Friend, I’ve never once used the thumb function on here and never plan to.

But why am I explaining anything to you? You think I was being literal when I said seven people were watching that game.

• indaburg - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I checked. Craig was only off by 3 people.

• lincomi - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

WTF…..babyfarkmcgeezax Either you are incredibly stupid or you are trying way too hard to be funny….STFUP

2. hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

3 weeks ago the Yanks were in 2nd place. The O’s were in 3rd. The Jays were in 4th. The Sawx had a 7.5 game lead over the 5th place Rays. Naaaa-uuuuhhh-uuuuhhh (with finger wag). 2.5 games back and the Rays are cruising. 3 game winning streak, coming off a 9 game winning streak, coming off 4 of 6 against the Yanks and Tigers. The all star break couldn’t have come at a worse time, but they stayed hot. The Yanks are getting more and more injured. The Sawx are getting more and more injured (Bailey, Victorino). The Rays are getting heathier.

Price struggled early, but got bailed out by homers from Zorilla, Myers, Longo and Kelly Johnson. 4 earned through 2.1. 0 earned the next 4.2. Longo damn near hit a ball to Vancouver. Myers went oppo on a 3 for 5 day with a homer and a double (thanks Dayton)

There was a time when Longo and Zobrist were the only Rays who could start on either the Yanks or the Sox. That is no longer the case. Maybe the Rays are a lot better. Maybe the competetion is just a lot worse. Myers is better than Victorino or Ichiro. Gardner, Jennings and Jacoby are basically the same player. A Joyce/Johnson platoon is better than Nava or Vernon. Longo is better than any options the Sox and Yanks have. Yunel is better than Nunez or Drew. Zorilla is the worst 2nd baseman of the bunch, but he is perennially a slow starter. Loney is having a better year than Napoli or Overbay. Molina/Lobaton have been surprisingly really good.

Price, Moore, Hellickson: Solid. Cobb: solid but injured for another month. Archer:Rookie of the year. Fauxsto: Decent #5 til Cobb gets back. I don’t see any possible way they don’t run down the Sox. Their offense is better. Their defense is better. Their starters are better. Their pen is better. Their manager is better. Their stadium is better (yeah, I said it. Air conditioned, solid plumbing, urinals, unobstructed views, seats made after the Harding administration, parking).

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Wow – you’re the delusional yin to Burgie’s analytical yang of Rays fans. When you went to “Trop is also better than Fenway” you permanently lost anyone who read to the bottom. I kept reading because the lunacy appeared to be building to a grand finale and you certainly did not disappoint.

AL ROY – Jose Iglesias.

Also Brett Gardner says: Me?? I’m as good as Jennings and Ellsbury? Who me?

• hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Do you really believe Iglesias will really have the highest BABIP in baseball in the second half too? Does he really hit balls hard enough to have an over.400 BABIP? I suspect he will regress back to the player he really is, slightly above replacement. He had a great first half, fueled by that unsustainable BABIP. Archer has an ERA under 3 and 4 wins in 9 starts. Voters love that stuff. Let him get another 10 starts, and either he, Alex Torres, or Wil Myers will be the ROY.

I don’t get your Gardner reference. They are all basically the same players. Except Jennings stays healthy.

• indaburg - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hitt and I get along, although, yeah, he’s drank the Kool-aid. I have to say that while the Trop has all the charm of a Home Depot, in August when it is more humid than a baboon’s anus outdoors, also known as 1000 gazillion bazillion % humidity (totally real number), the Trop is mighty comfy. I don’t mind being in a 72 degree climate controlled dome one bit. However, Fenway is one of the historical cathedrals of baseball. To compare the Trop to Fenway is to compare graffiti to a Renoir. I’ve seen some nice graffiti too, but they’re just not in the same league.

Now, if we can figure out how to beat the Red Sox, first place is ours… On paper, I do believe the Rays are the better team. The Red Sox are interesting to me. They are a puzzle we need to crack. They seem nervous playing the BoSox, like a pimply 16 year old on his first date with a girl. You got this, boys. Just relax, and play ball. You can beat this team.

Hitt also needs to remember that we were playing some of the worst teams in baseball. While in July, we are 1st in wins, ERA, and run differential, we did it against some really bad teams. I’m excited–we did what we should do to bad teams and in the past, the Rays have tended to play to the level of their opponents. However, we need to beat the BoSox. We need redux 2008. I’m heartened by the numbers I’m seeing from our bullpen. No longer are they statistical freaks. They’re normalizing their numbers. I no longer fear the 9th without an 8 run lead. Hellboy is back to his sabermetrically befuddling ways, lucky bastard. And we’re still hitting. Yes, we have reason to be optimistic. Very optimistic. Just don’t be getting cocky.

Back to assembling furniture.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

That’s what I’m talking about – our resident Rays columnist knows what’s up. It will probably come down to head-to-head.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Curses! I thought that the Jays might win this one, but the tide turned when Price got out of a bases loaded jam. I would not be surprised at all it the Rays finished the season in first place.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM

But yeah – the Rays sure look to have what it takes to make the AL East a dogfight – I’m looking forward to it.

• spudchukar - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Some solid observations, some serious stretching, and then you blow it with the stadium nonsense.

• hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM

For novelty seekers, Fenway is better than the Trop. For fans, it isn’t. I’d rather watch 20 games a year in a dumpy looking AC’d place than a dumpy looking non AC’d place.

• spudchukar - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I don’t want my air “conditioned”.

3. riverace19 - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Wow hitt…
    I don’t know what to say didn’t read your whole long winded delusional odyssey but you had better make sure to take your medication regularly.

4. historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Losing to the Royals??? 1-0?? OFFS!

5. rockthered1286 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM

@hitt
    Yes I’m too lazy to log on so ill post on my phone instead of replying. But 3 things I need to note:
    1- you rant about NY, BOS but not Toronto or Baltimore. Why is that? O’s are right on the Rays heels, have a better O, and just got back a full healthy rotation. They are just as much of a threat as anybody.
    2. Archer is good but if you can use the defense of “there’s no way Iglesias can sustain” can’t you use the same for Archer? 4 wins in 9 starts is good not stellar. And I do appreciate that in your eyes the only AL ROY options play in Tampa.
    3. So you’re saying all stadiums with AC are superior to stadiums without? Seems a bit outlandish of a claim. I’d take OPACY out of any stadium in the ALEast but Boston a close second. The trop? Cellar dweller. And before you question my authority I was just at that trash pit last month. It’s a DUMP that makes me appreciate Eutaw Street that much more.

6. kvanhorn87 - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Phillies always seem to have big wins when weekend write ups happen.

7. buddaley - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I have been to Fenway a few times, although the last time was in the 1990s so it may have changed some since then. I loved the experience. But when I was there, the place was dirty and a dump, the seats uncomfortable and in general it was what it was, an old stadium whose appeal lay in its history, not in its actual virtues as a baseball venue.

I go to Tropicana Field regularly. I don’t have the same distaste for its aesthetics as many do. In fact, I find many elements of it attractive. But as a place to see the game, particularly in Florida, it is terrific. Comfortable, clean and good views from everywhere. There are some improvements I would like, and I find the blaring scoreboard unbearable at times, but overall think it a good place to watch a game.

In the end, we all have different priorities and preferences, but I don’t think it foolish to prefer Tropicana to Fenway.

Incidentally, of all the major league parks I have visited-19 or so-the most beautiful by far is PNC in Pittsbugh. A real gem. I haven’t been to any of the west coast parks, so I won’t assert that PNC is the best, but it is certainly fabulous.

• hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I just took a tour of Fenway a month ago. They charged me $30 to “tour” it for 45 mins. I have watched actual Rays games for cheaper. The tour started in the gift shop across the street. They showed us where Ben Affleck filmed a chase scene. Where some teddy bear climbed a pole in a Walberg flick. We got to sit in the stands in left field, then atop the monster, then in right field in the Budweiser bar. Then we were hurried out through 5 minutes worth of a “museum” featuring a few bats and some posters on the wall. Then after you exit, you are pressured into buying $40 worth of a photograph of your party.

Some people like that stuff. I don’t. I’d rather go to a warehouse than a truck stop. The Trop is a warehouse. Fenway is one of those roadside attractions where the building is shaped like an Orange, or an ice cream cone. Lots of history, and loved by the locals, but not by me. I am surprised Fenway wouldn’t sell me a license plate keychain with my name on it. This was not a museum. I have paid less to watch a game in 68 degree air conditioning than I paid to take this tour. People can crap on the Trop all they want. It isn’t perfect, but it gives me what I want: Comfortable seating, no rain delays, easy cheap parking, player accessability for the kids, no sunburns, and cold air. If I could swap staduims, and have Fenway disassembled and brought to TB, I wouldn’t.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

So how much are they charging for Trop tours? /snickers

8. hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The thumbs genie just woke up.

9. APBA Guy - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I hope last night wasn’t a preview of the A’s second half. Of course, getting the Weaver treatment once in a while is old hat to the A’s so no need to panic. But all of the Angels big guns hit the ball hard, making AJ look like a rookie, not the seasoned one year pro who was unable to locate when he needed to. Note sarcasm.

Anyway, better indication of things is tonight. No Weaver, and Cespedes had better be playing.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4105)