Jul 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
It is well-known that the Indians are looking for starting pitching as the July 31 trade deadline draws closer, but they weren’t willing to part with third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall for Cubs starter Matt Garza, reports Paul Hoynes of The Plain Dealer. Chisenhall, still just 24 years old, has had an up-and-down year, spending a month with Triple-A Columbus between May 14 and June 16 where he dominated opposing pitching. In 183 plate appearances in the Majors this year, he has posted a .708 OPS. He was one of the top prospects in baseball in 2010 and 2011 and the team thinks he still has plenty of time and ability to figure things out.
The Rangers and Cubs were reportedly close to a Garza swap yesterday, but negotiations hit a snag. Reports still indicate the two sides are very close on an agreement, but the Cubs are still shopping Garza around to other suitors in the meantime. Garza is scheduled to make his next start on July 22 against the Diamondbacks, but he is expected to have a new set of laundry by then.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)