Jul 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EST
It is well-known that the Indians are looking for starting pitching as the July 31 trade deadline draws closer, but they weren’t willing to part with third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall for Cubs starter Matt Garza, reports Paul Hoynes of The Plain Dealer. Chisenhall, still just 24 years old, has had an up-and-down year, spending a month with Triple-A Columbus between May 14 and June 16 where he dominated opposing pitching. In 183 plate appearances in the Majors this year, he has posted a .708 OPS. He was one of the top prospects in baseball in 2010 and 2011 and the team thinks he still has plenty of time and ability to figure things out.
The Rangers and Cubs were reportedly close to a Garza swap yesterday, but negotiations hit a snag. Reports still indicate the two sides are very close on an agreement, but the Cubs are still shopping Garza around to other suitors in the meantime. Garza is scheduled to make his next start on July 22 against the Diamondbacks, but he is expected to have a new set of laundry by then.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)