Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez has not made a start since June 5 due to elbow and forearm issues and needed a platelet-rich plasma injection earlier this month. But he’s beginning to feel better.
According to beat writer Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Rodriguez is scheduled to resume throwing next week. He’ll start with light games of catch before hopefully advancing to a minor league rehab assignment by mid-August. The best case scenario is probably a late-August return.
Wandy, 34, had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf. The Bucs are 8-4 in games that he has started and 56-38 overall — good for second place in the National League Central.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 0
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 289
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (289)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)