Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez has not made a start since June 5 due to elbow and forearm issues and needed a platelet-rich plasma injection earlier this month. But he’s beginning to feel better.
According to beat writer Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Rodriguez is scheduled to resume throwing next week. He’ll start with light games of catch before hopefully advancing to a minor league rehab assignment by mid-August. The best case scenario is probably a late-August return.
Wandy, 34, had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf. The Bucs are 8-4 in games that he has started and 56-38 overall — good for second place in the National League Central.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)