Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez has not made a start since June 5 due to elbow and forearm issues and needed a platelet-rich plasma injection earlier this month. But he’s beginning to feel better.
According to beat writer Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Rodriguez is scheduled to resume throwing next week. He’ll start with light games of catch before hopefully advancing to a minor league rehab assignment by mid-August. The best case scenario is probably a late-August return.
Wandy, 34, had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf. The Bucs are 8-4 in games that he has started and 56-38 overall — good for second place in the National League Central.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 45
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)