Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez has not made a start since June 5 due to elbow and forearm issues and needed a platelet-rich plasma injection earlier this month. But he’s beginning to feel better.
According to beat writer Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Rodriguez is scheduled to resume throwing next week. He’ll start with light games of catch before hopefully advancing to a minor league rehab assignment by mid-August. The best case scenario is probably a late-August return.
Wandy, 34, had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf. The Bucs are 8-4 in games that he has started and 56-38 overall — good for second place in the National League Central.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32