Jul 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez has not made a start since June 5 due to elbow and forearm issues and needed a platelet-rich plasma injection earlier this month. But he’s beginning to feel better.
According to beat writer Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Rodriguez is scheduled to resume throwing next week. He’ll start with light games of catch before hopefully advancing to a minor league rehab assignment by mid-August. The best case scenario is probably a late-August return.
Wandy, 34, had a 3.59 ERA, 1.12 WHIP and 46/12 K/BB ratio in 62 2/3 innings before hitting the shelf. The Bucs are 8-4 in games that he has started and 56-38 overall — good for second place in the National League Central.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)