When 99 percent is not 99 percent

Jul 20, 2013, 8:53 AM EST

Matt Garza Getty Getty Images

I figure the Matt Garza-to-Texas trade is going to happen. There’s certainly been a lot of talk about it. But really, I don’t know. We’ll hear when we hear. But I can’t help but laugh when, twice a year — during hot stove time and now, just before the trade deadline — I am once again reminded how silly the business of reporting on trades and signings in.

The Matt Garza-to-Texas deal was reported yesterday to be “99 percent done.” Late last night, however, we get reports that the deal is breaking down. The snag: the teams can’t agree after discussing “varying packages for the 29-year-old starter.” Translation: Texas and Chicago can’t decide which players are going to be traded for Garza.

Now, call me crazy, but when half of the deal is not yet agreed to, calling the deal “99 percent done” seems a bit off. That’s like saying I’m 99 percent done with buying a car but that I just haven’t picked a car yet. It’s like saying I’m 99 percent married but I just can’t find the right woman. It really does take two to tango with these things.

I understand that trade rumors are weird things. People lie to reporters. Reporters misread information. Things change quite quickly. As such, it’s not at all reasonable to come down hard on guys who report things like deals being done 99 percent unless they are habitual offenders. I’ve been told myself that things are done-deals only to see them not done at all. Things happen and occasionally you look stupid through no fault of your own.

But it is something to remember between now and July 31. It’s worth reminding ourselves over and over that no deal is done until it is done. Before that, it’s all just chatter. Fun chatter, but chatter all the same.

1. hittfamily - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Does Profar even have any value left? Good lord, that dude is lost at the plate. I saw him hit a fly out to center, and thought “That is the best contact he has made all year”.

2. chacochicken - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Didn’t you learn anything from Occupy? The 1% has all the power, man. They’re keeping weed illegal and making us buy Chinese goods. I’m sure they can stop an MLB trade in its tracks. Free Matt Garza!

• historiophiliac - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

What?

/tightens grip on skewer behind back

• heyblueyoustink - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I like it: Occupy Wrigley.

3. contraryguy - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We share your frustration. And how about Alex Rios… seems like he was traded to 3 or 4 different teams last night if you believed Twitter.

4. thebadguyswon - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Good for the Rangers…..that trade was awful for them. Garza is pitching over his head and they were giving up way too much.

5. aceshigh11 - Jul 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My sympathies…

I hate it when what my package is offering doesn’t seal the deal…happens quite frequently, in fact.

6. anxovies - Jul 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I was 99 percent married once and that’s how the community property got split up.

7. cktai - Jul 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

If you consider all the aspects involved in a trade, like Matt Garza having to have been born, starting to play baseball, getting successful at pitching, getting drafted by the Twins, traded to the Rays, traded again to the Cubs, not to mention the fact that the Cubs have to been founded, which again depends on the founding of Chicago, which again depends on the discovery of America, and the fact that baseball rules needed to have been developed into such a way that Garza could be successful at it; if you consider all those aspects, then I guess you could legitimately say 99% of the things needed to get Garza traded to the Rangers are in place right now.

• paperlions - Jul 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Hehe….I LOLed.

• Reflex - Jul 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Very nice.

8. jgillmeister - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM

99% is not 99% when the prospects you are offering have medical issues. Cubs have the best pitching asset available. If the Rangers want to finally win it, they have to get there and to do that, they need Garza. Cubs should not bend over on this one.

9. raiderinvader - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

His work ethic and how he carries himself is a perfect fit here in Baltimore.the team and fans trust him.This team is committed to him.its been hard to say that about an oriole manager since Davey Johnson

10. 11thstreetmafia - Jul 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I’m happy the Cubs are playing hardball, for once.

• raysfan1 - Jul 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM

…and here I thought they played hardball at least 162 times a year

11. throughthewickets - Jul 20, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The price for a rent-a-pitcher….

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5149)