Jul 21, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez was hoping to rejoin the Yankees on Monday, but that doesn’t seem likely to happen.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the veteran third baseman is headed to New York for an MRI on his sore left quadriceps muscle, which began bothering him Saturday. It’s a precautionary exam and A-Rod is still telling reporters that he wants to return to the Yankees’ active roster early this week, but no decision is going to be made on that front until the results of the MRI are analyzed.
A-Rod underwent surgery on his left hip January 16 and has been in recovery mode through the first four months of the 2013 regular season. He is 8-for-40 (.200/.250/.375) with two home runs and 12 strikeouts in 13 minor league rehab games so far.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 2
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)