Jul 21, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Alex Rodriguez was hoping to rejoin the Yankees on Monday, but that doesn’t seem likely to happen.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the veteran third baseman is headed to New York for an MRI on his sore left quadriceps muscle, which began bothering him Saturday. It’s a precautionary exam and A-Rod is still telling reporters that he wants to return to the Yankees’ active roster early this week, but no decision is going to be made on that front until the results of the MRI are analyzed.
A-Rod underwent surgery on his left hip January 16 and has been in recovery mode through the first four months of the 2013 regular season. He is 8-for-40 (.200/.250/.375) with two home runs and 12 strikeouts in 13 minor league rehab games so far.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)