Jul 21, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez was hoping to rejoin the Yankees on Monday, but that doesn’t seem likely to happen.
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the veteran third baseman is headed to New York for an MRI on his sore left quadriceps muscle, which began bothering him Saturday. It’s a precautionary exam and A-Rod is still telling reporters that he wants to return to the Yankees’ active roster early this week, but no decision is going to be made on that front until the results of the MRI are analyzed.
A-Rod underwent surgery on his left hip January 16 and has been in recovery mode through the first four months of the 2013 regular season. He is 8-for-40 (.200/.250/.375) with two home runs and 12 strikeouts in 13 minor league rehab games so far.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)