Alex Rodriguez heading to New York for MRI on quad

Jul 21, 2013, 2:19 PM EDT

alex rodriguez riverdogs getty Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez was hoping to rejoin the Yankees on Monday, but that doesn’t seem likely to happen.

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the veteran third baseman is headed to New York for an MRI on his sore left quadriceps muscle, which began bothering him Saturday. It’s a precautionary exam and A-Rod is still telling reporters that he wants to return to the Yankees’ active roster early this week, but no decision is going to be made on that front until the results of the MRI are analyzed.

A-Rod underwent surgery on his left hip January 16 and has been in recovery mode through the first four months of the 2013 regular season. He is 8-for-40 (.200/.250/.375) with two home runs and 12 strikeouts in 13 minor league rehab games so far.

1. tbutler704 - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Baseball, like all sports, is no country for old men.

• sdelmonte - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Except golf.

• climb17 - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Not that old yet.

2. cdeangelus - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Not saying it’s the case, but this will definitely feed those “he’s going to fake an injury and retire” conspiracies from a month or so ago.

3. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The return journey of A-Roid has become an epic to rival Gilgamesh.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Gaining thumbs on you, OG, and I didn’t even have to get literate for it! Ha!

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Histy – the thumb harpy is just envious that we’re literate and he/she isn’t. I’ve seen lots of folks like that at Sarah Palin rallies.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

FYI, I’ve found that the most secure passwords are misspellings by the illiterati. No one would ever guess them. I’ve found some doozies….my favorites being “ginitles” and “scarcat.” (it took me a long time to figure out that the latter was an attempt to write “sarcasm”)

• sdelmonte - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I remember Gil Gamesh. From the inaccurately named “The Great American Novel” by the otherwise excellent Philip Roth. Fun book in some ways that predicted the rise of PEDs, but not one of the master’s best.

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

To be honest, I never thought he got all that much better than he was with Goodbye Columbus. I could barely finish Portnoy, couldn’t get a third of the way through Sabbath’s Theater or The Human Stain – and I didn’t feel like arguing with Harold Bloom about it so I just went back to John Cheever and said to hell with it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I finished “Human Stain” but parts of it annoyed me (I did think it got better as it went on — but not in a Toni Morrison “Beloved” awesome kind of way). I prefer Cheever as well, but that’s probably my short story fetish.

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I love Falconer and enjoyed Bullet Park more than anything by Roth, except maybe the aforementioned Columbus.

Ever read any Jim Harrison? I put Cormac McCarthy in his own untouchable category, but just in terms of sheer love of style, Harrison pulls a close second even though he’s a totally different kind of writer.

Incidentally, sdelmonte, I don’t even call McCarthy “the Master.” I reserve that appellation for Nabokov.

4. historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Doom.

5. banger60 - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:26 PM

surprise! surprise! surprise! sincerely, Goober.

6. banger60 - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I’ve been corrected, it was Gomer.!!

7. norvturnersneck - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM

May it be a torn Fallopian tube, and he be out a century.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

It is no longer impermissible to perform autopsies. As a result, we now know that the uterus does not, in fact, float around the body making one hysterical. But, thank you for that biology fail. Oh, and, of course, he is not female. Do you always have such difficulties identifying men?

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Two’s androgyny, three’s a crowd.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

But, honestly, he’s gay, Mr. Roper, so three’s company.

/Chrissy snort

8. cackalackyank - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

“Oh, what a surprise!” Said no one that’s been paying attention to this baseball season, ever.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3168)