Chris Carpenter: “It wasn’t what I was looking for”

Jul 21, 2013, 10:24 AM EST

chris carpenter wide getty Getty Images

Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter allowed four earned runs on nine hits and two walks over 3 1/3 innings on Saturday evening with the Triple-A Memphis Redbirds. It was his second minor league rehab start and he looked even worse than he did in his rough debut last week at Double-A Springfield.

Carpenter spoke to reporters — including Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch – right after Saturday’s outing and acknowledged a feeling of disappointment about his lack of effectiveness:

“I have a long way to go before I can get outs up there,” Carpenter said. “If I can’t get outs down here, never mind getting outs up there. I didn’t feel like I was as sharp as I needed to be or should have been. It wasn’t what I was looking for.

It’s not fair to the ballclub. It’s not fair to our team. It’s not fair to our fans. The name on my shirt and whatever I’ve done in the past doesn’t give me a free pass to go out and take somebody’s job up there. If I’m not going to help, I’m not to go up there and embarrass myself. I’ll tell you that right now. I’ve got to get sharper — bottom line.”

Carpenter has experienced no shoulder discomfort and his fastball has been clocked as high as 95 mph, but his stuff overall has not been sharp. 10 of the last 14 hitters he faced on Saturday night reached base.

Joe Kelly will continue acting as St. Louis’ fifth starter. Carlos Martinez and Michael Wacha are options.

1. 3 Finger Lenny - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM

He’s cooked

• blacksables - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Bullshit. He’s still better than 75% of the pitchers out there.

2. greggo1545 - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Despite me being a phillies fan… I can tell this guy is a class act

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I’ve always heard rumors that he was a jerk. Michael Jordan was supposedly a class act too. Then it was revealed that he is actually a total prick

• gostlcards5 - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Some of my friends, Cardinals fans, ran into him at spring training a few years ago, said he was an asshat.

So, basically, he’s an asshat to fans, class act to the players on his team.

3. finswins - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I feel so sorry for the bastard!

4. okwhitefalcon - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Obviously not good news but I seriously doubt the Cards were to the point of “counting on/penciling him in for any help down the stretch – they know what he’s up against.

Beyond that, the Cards are going to probably have to do something either internally or a move outside of the organization sooner than later to bolster the starting staff.

I’m not talking a number 4 or 5, someone who slots directly next to or behind Wainwright.

• gibbyfan - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Cant think of anyone other than cliff lee who might be available—-not sure we could afford that contract

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM

They could afford the contract just fine but I seriously doubt they’d be willing to pay it – or give up the necessary talent to get the Phils to pick up some of the tab.

And you’re right, availability is a major issue – I can’t think of any top of the rotation guys that are even remotely on the block.

• gibbyfan - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well–I certainly agree with your evaluation Falcon –on my own behalf I would say that I have been saying from the beginning of the year that I saw it coming –but now unless one of the young guys really steps up it could be a major problem.
        Why do you think they could afford Lee ? I wish it were true but not so sure about that one –although they do have a lot of payroll coming off next year that’s still twenty plus million/year —-It sure would give them some front end of the roatation

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM

The Cards 2012 revenue was $239 million and will well exceed that this year.

They’ve got over $30 million coming off the books after this year with no core vets headed to free agency (beyond Beltran), cost controlled youngsters and lower cost options in case they choose to deal their arbitration eligible guys.

They’re a very profitable franchise that could easily “afford” a payroll that exceeds where they’re at now. They’re also a business that’s in business to make money – where they choose allocate their funds has to make sense in their business model.

Starting pitching was my concern from the get go (although I drank the kool aid for a month) and it’s theirs as well – and it should be.

Good news is they’re in a position to do something if something presents itself, bad news is the opportunity may not be there.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Edward Mujica’s starting to scare the bejeezus out of me as well, dude’s not missing too many bats of late.

• gibbyfan - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Know what you mean about mujica –I just keep hoping that he is for real –starting to get a comfort level but today was a little shaky……The thing about the bullpen though is that if he falters they have substantially more in house viable option than they do with the starting rotation…………..really hope they dont go for Garza though –would rather see in house options—–

5. paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Dang, too bad he isn’t a member of the Evil Empire, would have been ripe for some “these are not the droids I was looking for” fun.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Have you been enjoying watching baseball again all weekend? :(

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, real baseball rather than glorified drills…..though I am missing most of today’s game…took the dogs hiking and I need to go to the grocery store before cooking dinner.

I assume you are not enjoying the real baseball considering the inability to beat KC so far.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I’m blacked out until tomorrow, but thanks for that uplifting boost.

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

:-)

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

i’m flipping you off, fyi.

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Validation is always nice.

Thanks.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Why do I like you, paper? Why?

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I’m just a charming moth*rfucker!

hehehe

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

LMAO!

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

WTF, where’s my down-thumbs? >:(

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Looks like you have a fanboy.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Huh, just one? /arches eyebrow

Hey, thanks for the positivity, dude — avoided the sweep. Might watch this one tonight w/ beer. :)

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I got home and put away groceries just in time to see the Padres batting with a man on 1st and 2 out. The first guy rifled a 2B down the 3B line that would have tied the game, but it bounced into the stands (by inches). The next guy hit a FB that was caught by a leaping Craig while up against the LF wall….so…they beat the Padres 3-2, but it felt a whole lot more like a lot of luck than winning.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

This will crack you up: the MVP of our game today was Brayan Pena. Go ahead, look him up — I know you need to. Sheesh. Miggy did go Boom! though.

You’re problem is you need some better Kozma!

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Yeah, some better Kozma would be nice. He really is a good defensive SS…not flashy, but has good range and just never fucks up…good at turning the double play. He has started to get a few hits lately.

Nah, I know who Brayan Pena is (remember I watch games of just about any team and thanks to cable I see a lot of AL games). He’s another one of those slimly Tigers that looks like he should be a catcher (only, unlike the other guys, he actually IS a catcher).

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hey! Are you *trying* to lose a fangirl? Grrrrr.

AL games are good for you. Puts hair on your chest or something.

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I enjoy AL games just fine….I am just always amazed at how much the tigers physically seem to resemble a semi-pro softball team.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Have a nice day!

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

You too.

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Pbbbbltt!

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

BTW, I’ve been meaning to ask you what you think of Rod & Mario as game commentators.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Are those the Tiger’s announcers? I rarely watch games with the sound loud enough to discern the babbling of announcing teams. Nearly all of them actively detract from my enjoyment of the game by continually spouting obvious non-sense….so rather than risk being annoyed, I just have the sound off most of the time.

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Why didn’t I already know that was the answer?

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

No idea.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

There are some announcing teams I enjoy. I love listening to Skully. The SF team is pretty good. Unless I have games on both the TV and laptop, I usually give an announcing team a chance, unless I know it is someone I can’t stand (Cardinals, Reds, Mets, Yankees, White Sox, Cubs are all horrible)….but it doesn’t usually take very long for them to start talking non-sense or talking over the game instead of augmenting the experience.

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I love our announcers. They don’t take themselves too seriously and aren’t dull like some other teams’. It’s painful to me to listen to other teams’ announcers b/c they aren’t nearly as entertaining. Which leads me to believe you’d HATE ours — but I thought I’d check.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM

It depends. I actually really like Boston’s announcers for the exact reasons you say you like Detroit’s….they are entertaining, funny, don’t take them selves too seriously, pose their opinions as opinions rather than facts, and they don’t start too many statements with McCarveresque hyperbole (e.g. “Player X is the best in the game at such and such mundane task”), all qualities that seem pervasive.

Announcers should supplement the video (IMO) to make the exerience more enjoyable, and I do think there are multiple ways to achieve that…must just get in the way by trying to force their opinions down the viewers throats. I’m not saying it is easy, but it shouldn’t be that hard to find 30 guys/gals that can do it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Well, I’m sure Rod’s opinions would drive you bonkers, but I find him entertaining just the same. Maybe even because I know he would make you crazy. lol

• paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I’ve been systematically working through every team in an attempt to knock loose any fanboys. All you have to do is present a well-reasoned argument for why a beloved player/asset is over rated. Apparently, Reds fans are deluded about both Phillips current ability as well as how well he’ll age….and Cubs fans think Garza is the best pitcher in the majors and should bring back a bounty (despite the fact that NO ONE has ever considered Garza to be anything more than a solid #3).

6. paperlions - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Worth noting that Kelly has been very good in long outings this year. He has started 3 games with a 3.18 ERA in those games and he has come in early to replace struggling starters twice and pitched a combined 10.1 innings in those games while giving up only 1 run. In games in which he has been a starter/long man, he has been very good, with an ERA of 2.30. Last year as a starter he had a 3.74 ERA.

Joe Kelly is a better 5th starting pitcher than almost any team in the majors has. Last year he threw 180 innings, and so far this year he’s only at 48. He has plenty in the tank to be a solid or better starter the rest of the way.

7. junglerat524 - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

What’s he going to tell his son?

8. historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Send him back to Springfield next week!

9. shea801 - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I can only imagine that while he’s down in AAA, the pitchers were learning a wealth of things from him. He’s always, according to other pitchers, been great at helping other’s out with their craft and with being a pro.
    He’s always talked about paying it forward, so I can imagine how a guy like Waccha is benefiting from that.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3243)
  2. J. Kang (3099)
  3. C. McGehee (2810)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2789)
  5. J. Upton (2778)