Jul 21, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz looked like a potential Cy Young Award candidate out of the gate this season, posting a 1.71 ERA and 1.02 WHIP over his first 84 1/3 innings. But he hasn’t pitched since June 8 due to discomfort in his neck and right shoulder and isn’t getting any closer to returning.
According to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford, plans are being made for a visit to the office of Dr. James Andrews. The Red Sox aren’t certain that the Andrews exam will yield any answers, but it allows them to check off certain boxes as the frustration grows over what exactly is ailing their star pitcher.
“I don’t see why I wouldn’t,” Buchholz told reporters on Saturday evening. “I don’t really know why it’s taking as long as it is. That’s definitely part of it, for me at least. Obviously knowing the MRIs and all things I’ve done, they show there’s nothing going on in there. But there’s something going because it doesn’t feel right.”
Boston enters play Sunday with a game-and-a-half lead over the Rays in the American League East.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)