Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt suffered a strained left groin during a relief appearance Saturday night against the Diamondbacks and has now been placed on the disabled list according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Jean Machi was recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide middle relief depth.
Affeldt has registered a relatively underwhelming 3.51 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 5.7 K/9 in 33 1/3 innings this year out of the Giants ‘pen. He had a 2.73 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 237 1/3 frames between 2009 and 2012.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent three weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with an oblique strain. He is likely to miss at least six weeks this time around, writes CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)