Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt suffered a strained left groin during a relief appearance Saturday night against the Diamondbacks and has now been placed on the disabled list according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Jean Machi was recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide middle relief depth.
Affeldt has registered a relatively underwhelming 3.51 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 5.7 K/9 in 33 1/3 innings this year out of the Giants ‘pen. He had a 2.73 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 237 1/3 frames between 2009 and 2012.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent three weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with an oblique strain. He is likely to miss at least six weeks this time around, writes CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)