Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt suffered a strained left groin during a relief appearance Saturday night against the Diamondbacks and has now been placed on the disabled list according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Jean Machi was recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide middle relief depth.
Affeldt has registered a relatively underwhelming 3.51 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 5.7 K/9 in 33 1/3 innings this year out of the Giants ‘pen. He had a 2.73 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 237 1/3 frames between 2009 and 2012.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent three weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with an oblique strain. He is likely to miss at least six weeks this time around, writes CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 0
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 34
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 29
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 42
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)