Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt suffered a strained left groin during a relief appearance Saturday night against the Diamondbacks and has now been placed on the disabled list according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Jean Machi was recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide middle relief depth.
Affeldt has registered a relatively underwhelming 3.51 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 5.7 K/9 in 33 1/3 innings this year out of the Giants ‘pen. He had a 2.73 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 237 1/3 frames between 2009 and 2012.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent three weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with an oblique strain. He is likely to miss at least six weeks this time around, writes CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)