Jul 21, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt suffered a strained left groin during a relief appearance Saturday night against the Diamondbacks and has now been placed on the disabled list according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle. Jean Machi was recalled from Triple-A Fresno in a corresponding 25-man roster move to provide middle relief depth.
Affeldt has registered a relatively underwhelming 3.51 ERA, 1.26 WHIP and 5.7 K/9 in 33 1/3 innings this year out of the Giants ‘pen. He had a 2.73 ERA and 8.0 K/9 in 237 1/3 frames between 2009 and 2012.
The 34-year-old left-hander spent three weeks on the disabled list earlier this season with an oblique strain. He is likely to miss at least six weeks this time around, writes CSNBayArea.com’s Andrew Baggarly.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)