Jul 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
It’s been a rough year for Jose Reyes. After starting the season blazing hot with a .991 OPS and five stolen bases in his first ten games, Reyes had to go on the disabled list with a sprained left ankle. It cost him 67 games. He returned on June 26, and in the month of July, he has hit safely in 14 of 16 games.
After reaching base with a one-out single in the fifth inning this afternoon, Rays starter Chris Archer threw over to first base, attempting to pick off Reyes. The ball was a bit too far to the left and hit Reyes as he was diving back to first base, striking him in the jewels. Yes, those jewels.
Here’s a .gif of the incident because, hey, why not. Don’t watch it if you feel empathetic pain.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)