Jul 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s been a rough year for Jose Reyes. After starting the season blazing hot with a .991 OPS and five stolen bases in his first ten games, Reyes had to go on the disabled list with a sprained left ankle. It cost him 67 games. He returned on June 26, and in the month of July, he has hit safely in 14 of 16 games.
After reaching base with a one-out single in the fifth inning this afternoon, Rays starter Chris Archer threw over to first base, attempting to pick off Reyes. The ball was a bit too far to the left and hit Reyes as he was diving back to first base, striking him in the jewels. Yes, those jewels.
Here’s a .gif of the incident because, hey, why not. Don’t watch it if you feel empathetic pain.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)