Jul 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s been a rough year for Jose Reyes. After starting the season blazing hot with a .991 OPS and five stolen bases in his first ten games, Reyes had to go on the disabled list with a sprained left ankle. It cost him 67 games. He returned on June 26, and in the month of July, he has hit safely in 14 of 16 games.
After reaching base with a one-out single in the fifth inning this afternoon, Rays starter Chris Archer threw over to first base, attempting to pick off Reyes. The ball was a bit too far to the left and hit Reyes as he was diving back to first base, striking him in the jewels. Yes, those jewels.
Here’s a .gif of the incident because, hey, why not. Don’t watch it if you feel empathetic pain.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86