Jul 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s been a rough year for Jose Reyes. After starting the season blazing hot with a .991 OPS and five stolen bases in his first ten games, Reyes had to go on the disabled list with a sprained left ankle. It cost him 67 games. He returned on June 26, and in the month of July, he has hit safely in 14 of 16 games.
After reaching base with a one-out single in the fifth inning this afternoon, Rays starter Chris Archer threw over to first base, attempting to pick off Reyes. The ball was a bit too far to the left and hit Reyes as he was diving back to first base, striking him in the jewels. Yes, those jewels.
Here’s a .gif of the incident because, hey, why not. Don’t watch it if you feel empathetic pain.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 1
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)