Jul 21, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
On the same day he returned from the disabled list, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp appeared to twist his ankle sliding into Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki at home plate in the ninth inning today with his team up 9-2. Kemp was at third base when Carl Crawford hit a ground ball to first baseman Chad Tracy. Tracy fired home to Suzuki, who grabbed the ball for the force out, the last out of the inning. Kemp’s ankle appeared to slide into Suzuki’s foot and bend awkwardly.
You can see the injury by clicking the Vine below (if you’re a bit medically squeamish, like me, you’ll want to leave it alone).
Yasiel Puig, who did not start, entered the game in right field and took Matt Kemp’s spot in the lineup. Skip Schumaker moved from right field to center field. Closer Brandon League got two quick outs, allowed two base runners, and then logged the final out to wrap up the 9-2 win, the Dodgers’ 50th of the season.
After the game, manager Don Mattingly said Kemp’s ankle had some swelling and appeared to be sprained. However, he doesn’t expect Kemp to wind up back on the disabled list, per the Dodgers’ official Twitter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)