Matt Kemp exits in ninth with ankle injury

Jul 21, 2013, 6:05 PM EST

kemp getty Getty Images

On the same day he returned from the disabled list, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp appeared to twist his ankle sliding into Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki at home plate in the ninth inning today with his team up 9-2. Kemp was at third base when Carl Crawford hit a ground ball to first baseman Chad Tracy. Tracy fired home to Suzuki, who grabbed the ball for the force out, the last out of the inning. Kemp’s ankle appeared to slide into Suzuki’s foot and bend awkwardly.

You can see the injury by clicking the Vine below (if you’re a bit medically squeamish, like me, you’ll want to leave it alone).

Yasiel Puig, who did not start, entered the game in right field and took Matt Kemp’s spot in the lineup. Skip Schumaker moved from right field to center field. Closer Brandon League got two quick outs, allowed two base runners, and then logged the final out to wrap up the 9-2 win, the Dodgers’ 50th of the season.

After the game, manager Don Mattingly said Kemp’s ankle had some swelling and appeared to be sprained. However, he doesn’t expect Kemp to wind up back on the disabled list, per the Dodgers’ official Twitter.

1. db105 - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

On his way to the DL.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

That was quick.

3. historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Oh my word, son.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I broke my tweeter!

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

ha ha

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

didn’t know that was possible ….

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Me either.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Got a personalized error message that says – Yo Unk – chill out

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Well, then chillax.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

You think Unk cares what a tweeter says? Unk can whistle his own self, while chewing sunflower seeds and taking swing-free batting practice like the Zen Master Jeter.

4. billymc75 - Jul 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM

up 9-1 and u awkwardly slide , why slide?

• js20011041 - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

It was probably just a reaction by him. The real problem was that he was loafing home. I get not giving an all out sprint there, but had he just been giving a modicum of effort, that play at the plate doesn’t happen.

5. losanginsight - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Los Dodgers taking over the NL one game at a time. Kemp will be fine.

6. thepancakebandit - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Ol’ China doll Kemp. What a shocker. This clown is seriously made of glass.

The most fragile, oft-injured guy in the league. Nice investment by the Dodger$ – oh wait…..

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I know it’s hard to look at the stats, but China Dolls don’t play 158, 159, 161, and 162 games a season like Kemp did between 2008-2011. On the other hand, lameass dipshits like to hide behind anonymous monikers when making untrue comments about some very real people, is that what you were trying to say?

• stex52 - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

It was actually my fault, mitzvah. I picked him back up for my Fantasy team yesterday. I’ve been doing that to him all season. Every time I pick him up he gets hurt. I drop him, and the cycle starts over again.

Sorry about that.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I appreciate you taking the responsibility, Stex, but you’re cool. Kemp was just being nice, and then realized too late that it doesn’t pay to be nice, and so he ends up twisting his ankle. But the Real Matt Kemp reports that he’s doing at least good enough to be a DH over the next 3 days. Which, as you now know, takes into consideration only a bare minimum of athletic ability.

• thepancakebandit - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I know it’s hard to look at a calendar, but it’s now more than halfway through 2013 already. Which, in case you didn’t realize, is a long time after 2008-2011.

On the other hand, your moniker would technically be just as anonymous as mine now wouldn’t it? But I’m not the internet tough guy calling “anonymous” people lameass dipshits, so maybe you know something about how the internet works that I don’t.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Is 2 seasons shy of his MVP caliber year where he played in every game that season a long time ago? Did you know you’re a far cry from a genius? I mean, real far. Like, more than 2 seasons of light years worth.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM

And, yes, PancakeBandit, I am an anonymous message boarder… who goes after anonymous message boarders. As opposed to lying about very real people while hiding behind my anonymous message moniker and, y’know, pounding my chest after posting. Because if it’s something you know about being a macho message board poster is that hyperbole is just expression, and your expressions are always Right On as a Straight Shooter and shit like that.

What a great example of the Internet folks of your ilk turn out to be. Play tough guy until someone calls out you out by you mask and then demand accountability. Classy and sassy, Champ.

• thepancakebandit - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You’re the best too pal! How nice of you.

But since we’re good buddies now, neither of us should have any problem doing that!

PS – :)

• thepancakebandit - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM

In baseball years, um, yes. Two seasons is a long time.

Not sure where the genius bit is coming from, but I think you should calm down a little and not let yourself get so upset about one person’s comment on the Internet. I know I’m not – despite you calling me lame, a dipshit, and implying that I’m stupid. :) :) :) :) :)

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Just to be sure, what you’re saying is that Matt Kemp is Fragile even though he played almost every game for 4 straight seasons, and that this doesn’t matter because those 4 straight seasons are so very long ago especially in regard to his most recent history of being injured and coming back from injury…. And you’re not stupid because I’m stupid since I’m calling you out on calling Matt Kemp a fragile China Doll.

I’m also very emotional while you are as cool as a cucumber who likes to placate his messages with emoticons….

Got it and understood. What an honor it is for me to be able to share in this wholesome conversation with an anonymous message board poster such as yourself. A better man than any of us will ever be. This, of course, includes Old China Doll Matt Kemp whom, if he would just once care about being in your good graces, wouldn’t have injured his shoulder at Colorado roughly a season ago.

You’re the best, Pancake.

• thepancakebandit - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You’re the best too pal!

How nice of you.I’ve learned a lot today. Baseball stats, big words and bonus – I made a new friend! I only “placated” that one message with smiles because that’s what I felt you should do more of.

PS – :)

7. notsofast10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

1st game back from the DL and up 9-2, why is he even still in the game in the 9th inning?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM

He was a triple shy of the cycle.

8. acdc84 - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I’m with “js”. If Kemp is back there’s no reason to pull him after a walk, and he shouldn’t be babied to prevent a fluke injury. If Kemp had given a half-hearted hustle on the play he would have easily scored without a play. If he misses more time or lands on the DL that’s on him for not hustling.

9. sidelineshot - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Like George Carlin said.
    The objective of baseball is to … “go home”.

10. drewy44 - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’m curious why the Dodgers even have a third base coach. 2nd to home is routinely an adventure with Tim Wallach standing there getting his thumb acquainted with his balloon knot. Kemp was dogging it, sure, but I also blame coaching.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4987)