Jul 21, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
On the same day he returned from the disabled list, Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp appeared to twist his ankle sliding into Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki at home plate in the ninth inning today with his team up 9-2. Kemp was at third base when Carl Crawford hit a ground ball to first baseman Chad Tracy. Tracy fired home to Suzuki, who grabbed the ball for the force out, the last out of the inning. Kemp’s ankle appeared to slide into Suzuki’s foot and bend awkwardly.
You can see the injury by clicking the Vine below (if you’re a bit medically squeamish, like me, you’ll want to leave it alone).
Yasiel Puig, who did not start, entered the game in right field and took Matt Kemp’s spot in the lineup. Skip Schumaker moved from right field to center field. Closer Brandon League got two quick outs, allowed two base runners, and then logged the final out to wrap up the 9-2 win, the Dodgers’ 50th of the season.
After the game, manager Don Mattingly said Kemp’s ankle had some swelling and appeared to be sprained. However, he doesn’t expect Kemp to wind up back on the disabled list, per the Dodgers’ official Twitter.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)