Jul 21, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
John Lott of the National Post reports that Melky Cabrera has been activated from the disabled list and is back in Toronto’s starting lineup — batting fifth and playing left field — on Sunday vs. the Rays.
Cabrera was out for seven weeks with tendinitis in his left knee. Some knee discomfort still remains, but he feels well enough to attempt to play through it.
Melky is batting just .278/.321/.362 with three home runs and 29 RBI through 78 games this season for Toronto. The 28-year-old signed a two-year, $16 million free agent contract in December 2012.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)