Jul 21, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman has the exclusive:
The Rangers and Cubs were set back on the Matt Garza talks to the point where the Rangers are now viewed as only one of many teams now in the mix for the star righthander.
The impressions left now is Texas and Chicago made no progress in overcoming the snag that derailed a deal for Garza Friday night — though the Rangers aren’t eliminated as both sides are still looking for deals.
The offer that was being discussed on Friday night involved Rangers prospects Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards and Neil Ramirez. It’s not clear why the discussions suddenly fell apart, though Jim Bowden of SiriusXM suspects that it had something to do with the physical exams and specifically Ramirez’s shoulder.
Garza, 29, has registered a solid 3.17 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 62/20 K/BB ratio across 71 innings (11 starts) this season for fourth-place Chicago. He is scheduled to hit the free agent market this November.
Garza’s next turn in the Cubs’ rotation is Monday, so expect trade talks to heat up over the next 24 hours.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)