Jul 21, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman has the exclusive:
The Rangers and Cubs were set back on the Matt Garza talks to the point where the Rangers are now viewed as only one of many teams now in the mix for the star righthander.
The impressions left now is Texas and Chicago made no progress in overcoming the snag that derailed a deal for Garza Friday night — though the Rangers aren’t eliminated as both sides are still looking for deals.
The offer that was being discussed on Friday night involved Rangers prospects Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards and Neil Ramirez. It’s not clear why the discussions suddenly fell apart, though Jim Bowden of SiriusXM suspects that it had something to do with the physical exams and specifically Ramirez’s shoulder.
Garza, 29, has registered a solid 3.17 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 62/20 K/BB ratio across 71 innings (11 starts) this season for fourth-place Chicago. He is scheduled to hit the free agent market this November.
Garza’s next turn in the Cubs’ rotation is Monday, so expect trade talks to heat up over the next 24 hours.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)