Jul 21, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman has the exclusive:
The Rangers and Cubs were set back on the Matt Garza talks to the point where the Rangers are now viewed as only one of many teams now in the mix for the star righthander.
The impressions left now is Texas and Chicago made no progress in overcoming the snag that derailed a deal for Garza Friday night — though the Rangers aren’t eliminated as both sides are still looking for deals.
The offer that was being discussed on Friday night involved Rangers prospects Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards and Neil Ramirez. It’s not clear why the discussions suddenly fell apart, though Jim Bowden of SiriusXM suspects that it had something to do with the physical exams and specifically Ramirez’s shoulder.
Garza, 29, has registered a solid 3.17 ERA, 1.14 WHIP and 62/20 K/BB ratio across 71 innings (11 starts) this season for fourth-place Chicago. He is scheduled to hit the free agent market this November.
Garza’s next turn in the Cubs’ rotation is Monday, so expect trade talks to heat up over the next 24 hours.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 12
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 41
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)