Jul 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Rays are by far the hottest team in baseball.
With young right-hander Chris Archer yielding only one run over seven innings and both Evan Longoria and Luke Scott providing home runs, Tampa Bay won its sixth straight game on Sunday afternoon in a sweep of the Blue Jays at Toronto’s Rogers Centre.
Archer has a 0.41 ERA over his last 22 innings and the Rays have been winners in each of his last six outings. The 24-year-old right-hander boasts a 2.76 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP in 58 2/3 total frames since his promotion to the major leagues on June 1.
The Rays are now just one game back of the Red Sox in the American League East standings.
They’re 20-4 since June 21.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 129
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (141)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (101)