Jul 21, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Rays are by far the hottest team in baseball.
With young right-hander Chris Archer yielding only one run over seven innings and both Evan Longoria and Luke Scott providing home runs, Tampa Bay won its sixth straight game on Sunday afternoon in a sweep of the Blue Jays at Toronto’s Rogers Centre.
Archer has a 0.41 ERA over his last 22 innings and the Rays have been winners in each of his last six outings. The 24-year-old right-hander boasts a 2.76 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP in 58 2/3 total frames since his promotion to the major leagues on June 1.
The Rays are now just one game back of the Red Sox in the American League East standings.
They’re 20-4 since June 21.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 13
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 217
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 140
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (229)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)