Jul 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Are we in for another second-half Pirates collapse?
A.J. Burnett allowed five runs — two earned — on 10 hits and two walks over 5 2/3 innings Saturday as the Bucs fell 5-4 to the Reds, dropping a second straight game at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park. Pittsburgh is now 0-2 since the All-Star break and 5-9 since the 81-game mark. It’ll be Jeff Locke vs. Homer Bailey in the series finale on Sunday.
The Pirates were in first place in the National League Central on July 25, 2011 before finishing 72-90. They were in first place on July 18, 2012 and then wound up 79-83. Right now they trail the Cardinals by two games and counting.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (154)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)