Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jul 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT

burnett getty Getty Images

Are we in for another second-half Pirates collapse?

A.J. Burnett allowed five runs — two earned — on 10 hits and two walks over 5 2/3 innings Saturday as the Bucs fell 5-4 to the Reds, dropping a second straight game at Cincinnati’s Great American Ball Park. Pittsburgh is now 0-2 since the All-Star break and 5-9 since the 81-game mark. It’ll be Jeff Locke vs. Homer Bailey in the series finale on Sunday.

The Pirates were in first place in the National League Central on July 25, 2011 before finishing 72-90. They were in first place on July 18, 2012 and then wound up 79-83. Right now they trail the Cardinals by two games and counting.

Your Saturday box scores and recaps:

Rays 4, Blue Jays 3

Dodgers 3, Nationals 1

Cubs 3, Rockies 9

Orioles 7, Rangers 4

Athletics 0, Angels 2

Diamondbacks 3, Giants 4

1. uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Not that there should have been any doubt about who is the ace of the Yankees staff, Kuroda had to put that discussion pretty much to rest with his outing yesterday. Today is the rubber game of this series between the Yankees and Sox. Should be a pretty good one at that.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Kuroda threw his 10th (of 20) game of at least 7IP and not giving up more than 2 ER. Also, bravo to the Sox fans giving Mo a standing ovation yesterday.

Boo to Fox for moving the game and then not broadcasting it. Couldn’t get it down here in NC and it was blacked out.

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

With a little more run support with any run support from the Yankees he could have 5 maybe 6 more wins.

• pisano - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My friend, I just finished answering another poster questioning a like wise remark I made stating that there’s no doubt that Kuroda was the ace of the Yankee staff. He seemed to think CC would get better in the second half, and my response to that was in essence was that he’s lost a lot off his fastball, and also his breaking balls aren’t as sharp as they were. I agree with you 100%, but I hope CC will do better in the second half. This team’s problem is not pitching, as we all know they need offense. Hafner has been a bust, but with Arod and Jeter coming back they can use them and others at dh, and Hafner can basically sit.

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My friend, I think CC will do better in these final 60 plus games. Will he perform up to expectations? I guess that depends on each persons individual expectations. The problem I have with CC this year and with fans who say he will get better and be the ace. is this. A team doesn’t pay a player $25MM per to be an ace for only 40 or 50% of a season. A lot of fans like to point to CC being a workhorse. That’s true he does pitch a lot of innings and very often goes deep into a game. This year though I think some of that is due to Girardi leaving him in games a bit to long. I’m just troubled by what I’ve seen so far out of CC this year. Hopefully he gets a lot better and I worry a lot less.

• anxovies - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If ARod comes back with any pop at all Hafner might be released. Can the Yankees afford a non-position LH pinch hitter who can’t hit?

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Aw, you boys are so friendly this morning.

I’ll actually be pulling for your boys, the Empire today, just as I was yesterday. This is a strange feeling, rooting for the Yankees. Second half baseball makes for strange bedfellows. A Yankees win, a Rays win, and first place is half a game out. Please win, Empire. Let’s go, Yan-kees (clap, clap, clap, clap, clap).

• historiophiliac - Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I know right. You can feel the dark doom creeping over you and the “Go, Yanks” catches in your throat — but (gulp) want those BloSox to lose so….

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Is not the enemy of my enemy my friend? No – not really.

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You feel that? It’s a mighty strong ray of sunshine beating down on your neck…1 game back, unclemo. :-)

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I’m hearing footsteps – getting jittery – no me gusta

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Me gusta mucho. Tomorrow, we tango at Fenway.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No, tango is too tame – we lambada for first

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

LMAO

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Can you see Jonny Gomes doing the Lambada?

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I can totally see that.

2. johnnysoda - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM

The Rangers have lost six of seven. Are we in for a second-half Rangers collapse?

Exactly. Too early to worry about Pittsburgh. If they’re still playing like this by next week, then I can understand concern.

3. steelers88 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I think a Pirates collapse is very likely the pitching staff has been good but they are very inexperienced and the offense is terrible so it’s very possible.

4. ironcity6pak - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Well the all star break is over so it’s time for the pirates to lose out.

5. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Hey the bluejays are 6 games below .500, 12 1/2 games out of first and only 9 games out of the wildcard. Can you say playoffs? Yea right, lol

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Can you say hopelessly repetitive, unimaginative bore? You’re like a mosquito with a broken snout.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

can you say I don’t care what you think? I bet you can if you really try

• indaburg - Jul 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hey, harry… your Yankees are fading away into the sunset. Just sayin’. That’s a whole lot of money for some old bones. It’s a shame, we have to grow old. The Yankees are just a reminder of our mortality. How’s it feel, watching your team grow decrepit?

You sure you’re not a closet Jays fan? I am still not convinced…

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 22, 2013 at 1:12 AM

hey indaburg, I didn’t have high hopes for this years team, they made no real moves going into this season so im not surprised. bottom line is this, they have missed the playoffs 1 time since “95 and the Jays have missed it every time since? “93? hahaha yea that isn’t going to keep me awake at night. I will just throw on my “09 WS highlights

• indaburg - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Why do you hate the Blue Jays so much out of curiosity? Their fans, at least the ones around these parts, are a funny, pleasant group. The team hasn’t won in forever. Why not pick on a team your own size?

6. dondada10 - Jul 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Hey Pirates, I got some Marlon Byrd for you.

7. whodeytn - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Here come the Reds

8. Stiller43 - Jul 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Oh man the pirates have dropped 2 games to a very good team on the road, time to panic!!!

9. steelers88 - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Locke must really want to emulate Burnett with all the control lapses.

10. steelers88 - Jul 21, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I love how the Pirates have their worthless right fielders batting 2nd.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet