Jul 22, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Red Sox announced that Andrew Bailey will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a torn capsule and damaged labrum in his right shoulder.
Bailey actually entered the All-Star break on the active roster having thrown four consecutive scoreless appearances, but revealed that he felt a lot of pain during the last of those four outings and has been dealing with discomfort for a while now.
He initially gave some thought to going the rest-and-rehab route, but later explained: “The only way to fix this is surgery–100 percent fix it. This isn’t going to heal on its own.” Instead he’ll be out for at least the next 12 months.
Bailey was acquired from the A’s last offseason for Josh Reddick, Miles Head, and Raul Alcantara and brought an extensive injury history with him to Boston. Last year he was limited to just 15 ineffective innings because of a torn thumb ligament and this year his season ends after 29 innings. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration, but the Red Sox may decide to cut Bailey loose rather than pay him something close to this year’s $4.1 million salary.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 32
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)