Jul 22, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Making official what was expected, the Red Sox announced that Andrew Bailey will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a torn capsule and damaged labrum in his right shoulder.
Bailey actually entered the All-Star break on the active roster having thrown four consecutive scoreless appearances, but revealed that he felt a lot of pain during the last of those four outings and has been dealing with discomfort for a while now.
He initially gave some thought to going the rest-and-rehab route, but later explained: “The only way to fix this is surgery–100 percent fix it. This isn’t going to heal on its own.” Instead he’ll be out for at least the next 12 months.
Bailey was acquired from the A’s last offseason for Josh Reddick, Miles Head, and Raul Alcantara and brought an extensive injury history with him to Boston. Last year he was limited to just 15 ineffective innings because of a torn thumb ligament and this year his season ends after 29 innings. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration, but the Red Sox may decide to cut Bailey loose rather than pay him something close to this year’s $4.1 million salary.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)