Jul 22, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Making official what was expected, the Red Sox announced that Andrew Bailey will undergo season-ending surgery to repair a torn capsule and damaged labrum in his right shoulder.
Bailey actually entered the All-Star break on the active roster having thrown four consecutive scoreless appearances, but revealed that he felt a lot of pain during the last of those four outings and has been dealing with discomfort for a while now.
He initially gave some thought to going the rest-and-rehab route, but later explained: “The only way to fix this is surgery–100 percent fix it. This isn’t going to heal on its own.” Instead he’ll be out for at least the next 12 months.
Bailey was acquired from the A’s last offseason for Josh Reddick, Miles Head, and Raul Alcantara and brought an extensive injury history with him to Boston. Last year he was limited to just 15 ineffective innings because of a torn thumb ligament and this year his season ends after 29 innings. He’s under team control for next season via arbitration, but the Red Sox may decide to cut Bailey loose rather than pay him something close to this year’s $4.1 million salary.
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 14
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 33
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 19
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 35
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)