Brewers GM Doug Melvin on Ryan Braun: “We can move forward starting tonight”

Jul 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EST

Doug Melvin AP AP

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin addressed Ryan Braun‘s suspension prior to tonight’s game against the Padres. While he expressed disappointment about losing Braun for the rest of the season, he also said that the organization is looking forward to putting the matter behind them. Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has the quotes:

“Every year is challenging, but this has always been a cloud over the ballclub, not knowing what’s going to happen. There was a lot of speculation out there; you read about it, you hear about it. I didn’t have any idea what was going on. I only knew what I read in the paper the next day. So you move forward and you play each day as it comes. I am glad, and I think as an organization we are happy that Ryan, the union and the Commissioners Office have all put their heads together and made a wise decision for baseball and for us, the organization.”

The Brewers have struggled through injuries and underperformance this season and currently sit in last place in the NL Central at 41-56. Having Braun around for the rest of the year may have resulted in two or three more wins, but it wouldn’t have made them a contender. Now that Braun has accepted the suspension, the Brewers will have some peace of mind headed into 2014. All things considered, Melvin is happy about that.

“Yeah, I think it’s very important. We can move forward starting tonight,” Melvin said. “We’ll have someone else here tomorrow and we’ll try to win as many games as we can. It’s been a disappointing year for Ryan with his injuries, but with this behind us now, I think it gives us a much better focus for the offseason and what we can do.”

Braun, who turns 30 in November, signed an extension with the Brewers in April of 2011 and remains under contract through 2020.

1. buffalo65 - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Hope they enjoy the .276/14 hr and 67 RBI seasons they get for the next 6 years.

2. josephdrobinson - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If they had kept Prince Fielder…Detroit would have lost to the Giants 4-0 in the 2012 World Series..

3. 1rockyracoon - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I can’t wait to see how Braun does when he isn’t using PEDs and he’s a year older. He has joined an elite group of athletes–say their name and the first word that pops into your head is “cheater.”

• bchapman2011 - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

You already have this year. Only 9 hr. Sorry but this low total was not injury related like he would like everybody to believe. Now that he is suspended I do not think he is subject to random testing. If not, you can bet he will spend the next 6 months getting as jacked as possible before he has to get clean.

• drone501 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM

how would you like to be the one signing his paycheck. even if he’s not getting paid for this season, he’s made a haul.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I’m happy Braun accepted his punishment and didn’t try to keep up the charade and ruin the 2014 season before it starts.

• fm31970 - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Now he needs to man up and apologize, both personally and publicly to the guy who handled his sample in 2011.

Honestly, this season was lost for the Brewers early on, so this isn’t a huge loss for the Brewers. I don’t honestly see his stats taking a huge dip starting next year. He’s a great hitter, which is why the PED use is even more puzzling to me.

• jhorton83 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I do not understand the calls for apology to the test sampler. The fact is he took the sample home with him overnight. That’s a violation of procedure. If it were a criminal case, the evidence would be immediately thrown out. So Braun has to apologize to this guy because he didn’t do his job correctly? Yes, Braun’s a liar and a cheat, but it’s not his fault the tester was incompetent and didn’t follow procedure.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Ryan Braun didn’t do anything to that guy. The media found his name and told everyone. braun did nothing more than tear about the process, something which a professional arbitrator agreed with. Braun owes him zero apologies.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I meant ” tear apart the process”. Woops.

• chrisny13 - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:55 AM

No, jhorton, the collector did not violate any procedures. It was actually the policy and practice of the company he worked for to have collectors hold samples at their homes, in a safe location, if the only other alternative was to have the samples sitting in a fedex/shipping office over the weekend in unknown conditions.

And if it was a criminal case? I doubt the evidence is thrown out as long as there is no break in the chain of custody and, in this case, there wasn’t.

So, yes, Braun needs to apologize to the sample collector — and at a minimum, to the entire Brewers organization and all their fans. That’s at a minimum.

And that original arbitrator who decided in Braun’s favor has egg on his face.

5. johngaltx - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM

What I am going to do with my custom made “Braun MVPee” sign?

• tuloisgod - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM

You could give it to me to add to my collection, along with my “Tulo = ROY” sign. As you’ll recall, Braun won that award that year.

6. deedee2die4 - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Moving forward with Bud Selig* still commissioner is a joke. Selig entire tenure should be erased. But his ties to the Brewers and their NL status is a bad joke as his failure to boot Braun the first time. But I guess Hebrewers stick together.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4741)
  2. M. Kemp (3752)
  3. M. Cabrera (2934)
  4. J. Kang (2849)
  5. J. Upton (2661)
  1. M. Morse (2634)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2345)
  3. A. Rios (2301)