Jul 22, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
We heard earlier this month that Brian Wilson was close to auditioning for teams, but the tryouts have apparently already begun.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Wilson threw a bullpen session today at the University of San Francisco. Giants bullpen catcher Billy Hayes caught Wilson while Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti stood in the batter’s box for most of the session.
Baggarly was told that Wilson “looked impressive and game ready” 15 months removed from Tommy John surgery. It’s estimated that the topped out around 94 mph with his fastball and showed good movement with his cutter. Meanwhile, the Giants didn’t deny that they could have interest in a reunion.
“We want to keep in touch with his progress,” Giants vice president Bobby Evans said. “He’s a Giant through and through. So we want to stay involved.”
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, Wilson is planning to throw for teams on Thursday in Los Angeles. His return to the majors shouldn’t be far behind.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)