Jul 22, 2013, 10:32 PM EDT
We heard earlier this month that Brian Wilson was close to auditioning for teams, but the tryouts have apparently already begun.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Wilson threw a bullpen session today at the University of San Francisco. Giants bullpen catcher Billy Hayes caught Wilson while Giants pitching coach Dave Righetti stood in the batter’s box for most of the session.
Baggarly was told that Wilson “looked impressive and game ready” 15 months removed from Tommy John surgery. It’s estimated that the topped out around 94 mph with his fastball and showed good movement with his cutter. Meanwhile, the Giants didn’t deny that they could have interest in a reunion.
“We want to keep in touch with his progress,” Giants vice president Bobby Evans said. “He’s a Giant through and through. So we want to stay involved.”
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, Wilson is planning to throw for teams on Thursday in Los Angeles. His return to the majors shouldn’t be far behind.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)