Jul 22, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
It’s always something, I guess. On a night when the Yankees moribund offense actually goes out and scores some runs, the team’s ace doesn’t show. CC Sabathia gave up seven runs on nine hits in five innings. After the game he minced no words:
“I suck. I wish I had an excuse or something. It sucks. It’s embarrassing. But you have to try to work through it, figure something out and start trying to help this team instead of hurting it.”
And, bafflingly, he has been hurting his team this year. His ERA is now up to 4.37 and he has been giving up a lot more homers than usual.
I don’t think it’s time to really freak yet. His strikeout rate is down a tad from the past couple of years but it’s within normal career parameters for him. He’s striking out 7.7 batters per nine innings now. He did that or a tad worse when he won 19 games in 2009 and 21 games in 2010. He can be effective in that zone. And he’s walking fewer batters than he has in five years.
But he’s certainly not himself. And in a season when an awful lot has gone wrong for the Yankees, he needs to be his old self if they have any shot of hanging with Boston, Tampa Bay and Baltimore.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:53 PM EDT
Kiermaier makes a leaping catch to rob Manny Machado of a home run.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Marco Gonzales is expected to start in his place Tuesday.
Aug 31, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
De Aza is batting .292 with 18 extra-base hits (including four home runs), 25 RBI, and an .831 OPS in 60 games since joining the Red Sox in June.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Jackson, an impending free agent, is batting .272/.312/.387 with eight home runs, 38 RBI, and 15 stolen bases over 107 games this season.
Aug 31, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Astros will have their young phenom back at shortstop tonight against the Mariners.
Aug 31, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
Color me dubious.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
He hasn’t played since last Wednesday and now will miss at least the next three games.
Aug 31, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
He was on the hot seat back in June. What a difference a couple of months make.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:51 PM EDT
Aug 31, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Ramirez has a nagging shoulder injury.
Aug 31, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
Actually, the fastest wiener is boring. You want to see the wiener which runs free.
Aug 31, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
And Buck Showalter is uniquely unimpressed with Fenway Parks dimensions.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT
Thats one way to do it. Not a way likely to bring success, but certainly one way to do it.
Aug 31, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
He’s struggling with free agency right around the corner.
Aug 31, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
The Blue Jays GM said “Steve Tolleson just decided he didn’t want to play anymore.” Tolleson takes strong issue with that.
Aug 31, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Terry Collins says it wouldn’t be fair.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
He is in the first year of a four-year, $46 million deal.
Aug 31, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
He won’t be officially introduced by the Jays until after the season.
Aug 31, 2015, 8:55 AM EDT
It’s no surprise that Mark Shapiro felt that bolting to Toronto was a good idea
Aug 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Jake Arrieta looked great last night. At least during his no-hitter. Afterward? Well, at least he looked comfortable.
- Cubs to acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 16
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)