Jul 22, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
It’s OK if you don’t care about A-Rod. If you find him irrelevant and annoying and wish he’d just go the hell away. Not everyone cares, nor should you feel obligated to.
Just do me a favor: if you’re one of those people, please don’t write 1,000 words for a national sports website about A-Rod, claiming you care so little about A-Rod. Because it kind of undermines your point.
Beyond that, I think A-Rod is the “Two and a Half Men” of baseball figures. All of the clever, in-the-know people act like no one watches that show and that it’s irrelevant and stupid and should just go away. If you read their stuff you’d think that “Mad Men” and “Game of Thrones” and “Breaking Bad” are what everyone’s watching. Meanwhile, “Two and Half Men” had bigger ratings than those three things combined.
That’s A-Rod. Well, he is based on what I’ve observed about website metrics and the general amount of attention anything about him gets from the broader sports-reading audience. We can still hate him. We can still make fun of him. We can say that, in objective terms, he’s way less relevant to the game today than whoever the baseball player equivalent of “Mad Men” is.
But it’s a lie to claim that no one cares, because a lot of people do. And pretending that you’re above that when you’re really not wears pretty poorly on a person.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)