Heyman: “MLB has receipts, checks, the whole nine yards”

Jul 22, 2013, 2:46 PM EST

a-rod reuters Reuters

Some interesting tidbits on the Biogenesis investigation from Jon Heyman. Among the things (I think anyway) we haven’t heard before: sources telling him that Major League Baseball has “receipts, checks, the whole nine yards.” I mean, it’s been safe to assume that, of course, but this is the first time I recall seeing a source tell a reporter that.

There’s also some stuff in there about A-Rod and his people being realistic about his impending suspension and the fact that, given his recent injury, he’s not likely to “beat the suspension to the field,” as they put it. Also interesting are reports of the league and the union’s possible differing interpretations of what constitutes multiple offenses, how much discipline might be doled out to players and whether any of them are willing to take pleas.

All of that makes a lot of sense. But this part about Alex Rodriguez doesn’t:

If MLB can possibly prove drug ties before and after his MLB interviews denying involvement, it’s possible he could get 150 games. While it would seem to be difficult to imagine a lifetime ban within one ruling, 150 games away could effectively end the career of a player with two bad hips who turns 38 on July 27.

The hips were good enough to have him hitting homers in rehab games until late last week’s quad injury. As for 150 games: if A-Rod got that handed to him tomorrow, and if he decided to just accept the suspension, he’d be eligible to come back at roughly this time next year. There are a lot of players — particularly pitchers — who miss a year and a half and make it back. Even old ones.

But maybe the better example here is Manny Ramirez. He’s older than A-Rod, has just as much if not more of a PED-taint than does A-Rod, was less effective than A-Rod was at the time of their last pre-suspension action, was probably in worse shape at the time of the suspensions, then retired and sat out for an extended period.  He jut signed with his third team since becoming a pariah.

Maybe A-Rod would just up and quit, but I kinda doubt it. And if didn’t quit, you can’t tell me a team wouldn’t take a chance on him as their DH at the very least. That team most likely being the Yankees themselves.

1. southofheaven81 - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM

When a baby fell out of a window, Joe TorreMs daughter was going to catch it, but A-FRAUD yelled out “I got it” and the baby fell to its death. Clearly Satan takes pointers from this guy.

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

That’s nothing. Legend has it that Mercury Morris caught a falling baby in front of its apartment building, and then responded to the cheers of onlookers by spiking it.

• southofheaven81 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

A-Roid slapped the antidote out of Indian Jones’ hands as he ran to first base.

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM

A-Roid poisoned Mozart and let Salieri take the fall for it.

• mybrunoblog - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I helped a friend a few years ago and acted as Mercury Morris driver and assistant for an afternoon. I’m not really the driver type but I thought it would be interesting to spend some time with a former NFL guy and hear some stories. Morris was funny but definatly loves himself. I knew it would be a long day when he got into my SUV, asked me if I had a CD player (I did) and popped in his new rap song so I could hear it.

• southofheaven81 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

A-Roid was one of the centaurs that didn’t want to help Harry Potter.

• jtorrey13 - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:04 PM

ARod was the first person in the Donner party to advocate cannibalism. Then, he had the nerve to invent ranch dressing to make it taste better. Jerk.

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

That’s an old story. What’s less well known is that he hid the fact that there were five unopened cases of Beefaroni in the back wagon.

• weaselpuppy - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:39 PM

A-Rod told Socrates it was Jagermeister…

• Glenn - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM

southofheaven81 – I thought it was pretty funny.

• southofheaven81 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I’m a bigger monster than A-Rod!!!

2. mybrunoblog - Jul 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I can’t believe he was dumb enough to use checks and get receipts. I’m in no way defending his cheating but can anyone really be that stupid?

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

If you had taught football scholarships for as many years as I did, you wouldn’t even have to ask that question.

• Caught Looking - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

The PEDs were considered deductible business expenses.

• rbj1 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Jerry Springer paid prostitutes with checks.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM

They may have the whole 9 yards, but I am curious about the 10th yard. What is missing?

• jwbiii - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

For some reason, the U.S. textile industry manufactured bolts of cloth in nine yard lengths. Cutting tables in fabric stores had brass tacks every 3″. If you wanted to buy fabric, you could take the whole nine yards or get down to brass tacks.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Thanks. Glad that it is not related to football. Of course, 9 is a very significant number in baseball.

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Hey PC, the Duchess just gave birth – and the Palace announced that it’s an inbreed!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:02 PM

It is certainly not a mongrel; however, as Kate was a commoner, she added a much necessary blood line to the rather inbred monarchy. Up until now, royal bloodlines tended to be as inbred as many New England bloodlines such as my ex.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:25 PM

By the way Gator, Queen Victoria was no prude. She enjoyed sex and had a lot of kids. Most European royal families were descended from her. Elizabeth and Philip were related to each other and the match produced dullards. Diana was an aristocrat, but as far as inbreeding is concerned, was not closely related to Chuck. Kate on the other hand represents a much needed source of fresh blood.

• jwbiii - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

King George V, Tsar Nikolai II. Or maybe it’s the way around. I can’t tell.

3. nbjays - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

“And if didn’t quit, you can’t tell me a team wouldn’t take a chance on him as their DH at the very least.”

Oh really? See Bonds, Barry.

• Glenn - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Except A-Rod is still under contract for a long time and the Yankees owe him a lot of money.

• teambringitstrong - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Your attempt to be a smart *** failed. Not team was going to take a chance on Bonds as a DH b/c he had ZERO experience as a DH. Its a very long leap from NL to AL pitching and as big a Bonds fan as I STILL am, even he would have been hard pressed to make the switch.

• DJ MC - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You’re right. He would have plummeted all the way to a .900 OPS. Remember: he put up a 1.045 his last season, which was better than the previous season in about the same PT.

• lawrinson20 - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Uh, no. BZZZZZZT. Wrong.

4. koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

These guys have families. Does MLB have proof that “anti-aging medication” or whatever it was that Biogenesis labeled their wares wasn’t consumed by those people?

I’m no lawyer. If there are receipts, I can see an established connection to the clinic, but if I’m on the jury, should I not also have absolute proof of player consumption?

• mybrunoblog - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

This isn’t a criminal trial. I suspect a much smaller burden of proof is necessary to prove guilt.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Which is why fans like me are skeptical. Justice will not be served, but a political point will be made.

• bigharold - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Apparently the “burden of proof” is on par with the Salem witch trials.

I’m not trying to defend A-Rod but frankly I’ve a great big problem with the way MLB pursued this “investigation”. They subverted the civil justice system and coerced a dirt bag and his side kick to “testify” against him, .. as well as every other players. Didn’t George Steinbrenner get banned in the 90s for paying a dirt bag to get dirt on Dave Winfield? I honestly don’t see the difference. And, A-rod has a lot at stake. If the NYDN’s mouthpiece, Bill Madden, is correct and MLB is looking to suspend him for 150 games, .. well that adds up to about $20 mil plus in salary. I bet A-Rod could mount a pretty stout defense for half that amount. And I think he’ll win. If one reads the CBA and the JDA, there are no provisions for the kind of suspension that they are talking about. The notion that he might be banned for life is laughable. In fact I think the only person that is really pushing that idea is Hal Steinbrenner.

It appears that the union and MLB are in cahoots to make a statement about ridding baseball of PEDs. Two things about that; 1. It won’t work. The best they can hope is that they stay current with the technology but they will never get ahead of it. Whatever testing they develop, the players will find a way around it. You build a better mouse trap, .. you get smarter mice. 2. They are setting a very dangerous president. The ends rarely justify the means.

I’m sure the current union leadership and Selig think they are well intentioned. The road to Perdition is paved with good intentions.

5. clarenceoveur - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I guess he needed the receipts to submit to his employer for reimbursement

6. daveitsgood - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that if there are receipts and checks, they probably aren’t itemized with ” QTY 1 – PED” and the notation on the check isn’t “For illegal PEDs”

7. jayscarpa - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Why is it 9 yards as in ‘the whole 9 yards’?

• jaturso - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM

During WWII, fighter jets (I think P-51s, but maybe not and/or others – too lazy to google it) held 9 yards of machine gun rounds in the wing. When saying that they unloaded all their ammo at a target, the pilots would say something like, “I gave him the whole nine yards.”

• jayscarpa - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Nice, thanks

• stex52 - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Wikipedia and Snopes both have articles on the etymology of the expression. I’ll save you the trouble. The answer is “no one really knows for sure.” Although fighter ammo belts is offered as one of the possibilities.

I lean toward the dirty joke explanation myself.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Yes, that is one of the popular Urban Legends. In truth, no one knows exactly where it came from

• Anoesis - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

The Messerschmitt Me 262 was the world’s first operational jet fighter, followed by the Gloster Meteor. The U.S. did not fly jets in WWII. The Bell P-59 Airacomet was the first, but never became operational. That honor fell to the Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star. It was operational in 1945, but was grounded until after the war due to various problems.

As far as “the whole nine yards:” This saying has been traced as far back as the beginning of the 20th century, but it appears to have started out as six yards, not nine, perhaps due to numerical phrase inflation (being on cloud nine originated as cloud seven). Two 1912 articles in The Mount Vernon Signal in Kentucky promised to “give” or “tell” the “whole six yards” of a story. There is no hard evidence for the military fighter plane ammo-belt theory.

More on this (if you are really interested):

Cecil Adams provides good research, and his usual dry humor, in this article. For you fans of the fabric theory:

“Contrary to common belief, cloth doesn’t come in bolts of nine yards. Twenty to twenty-five yards is more like it.”

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Old joke about a WWII pilot addressing a class of schoolchildren:

“One day in 1942 I was protecting the bombers and suddenly, out of the clouds, these fokkers appeared. (At this point, several of the children giggle.) I looked up, and right above me was one of them. I aimed at him and shot him down. They were swarming. I immediately realized that there was another fokker behind me.” At this instant the girls in the auditorium start to giggle and boys start to laugh. The teacher stands up and says, “I think I should point out that ‘Fokker’ was the name of the German-Dutch aircraft company” “That’s true,” says the pilot, “but these fokkers were flying Messerschmidts.”

8. tbutler704 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM

150 games would cost him ~$26M or so….that’s going to court for sure.

9. mvp43 - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Checks? okay, I didn’t really think a player would be that stupid to not pay cash. Regardless, checks and recipts are one thing……… but that doesn’t prove that he actually took them. But, this is the kangaroo court of MLB, so I guess that doesn’t matter.

10. sawxalicious - Jul 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I think it may have been spitfires, but I am also too lazy to google.

11. amhendrick - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Hmm, here’s a debunking of the 9 yards of ammo theory (which is what I thought too)

• Anoesis - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, the ammo belt thing is pretty thin.

The Browning machine guns on Britain’s Spitfire had 350-round belts of .303 British ammunition which were about 5.7 yards long.

U.S. aircraft generally used .50 BMG ammunition, which measured 0.929 inches center-to-center. So a nine-yard belt would have had 301 rounds. Anybody think the military, of all people, would have demanded a 301-round belt?

The Grumman F6F Hellcat had ammunition belts of up to 400-rounds (10.3 yards) while the Boeing B-29 Superfortress and the Lockheed P-38 Lightning had belts of up to 500-rounds (nearly 13 yards).

Yet another defense-based possibility:
      The phrase, though relatively rare before 1956, was occasionally used in a literal sense before it acquired its figurative meaning: “You have to increase from 7.72 to 12 for the average at the bottom of that fifth column, for the whole nine yards.” Testimony by Admiral Emory Scott Land, Investigation of the National Defense Program: Hearings Before a Special Committee Investigating the National Defense Program (1942). In this case, the “nine yards” are the nine shipyards that produced the Liberty ship.

12. tgthree - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

After all the indignance around here that MLB would DARE think about issuing suspensions with no evidence except for the tainted testimony couple of well-compensated scumbags, it’s SUCH a huge surprise that maybe the league has some additional information.

/sarcasm

13. louhudson23 - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Yeah,but do they have any proof? Yeah, felt as stupid to write it as it does to read it…

14. historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I totally believe that Anthony Bosch had the business acumen to outsource his A/R to Check-into-Cash.

15. pellypell - Jul 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Source told me that one of Arods cronies approached a minor league pitcher he was facing with cash in exchange for serving him up meatballs he could hit. Don’t give much weight to what he did in those few games.

16. insidefastball - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Poor comparison……Manny does not have chronic hip problems and has never suffered a serious injury.

17. natisportsnut - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Take it from me, you should never pay by check
    – Jerry Springer

• gloccamorra - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:23 AM

There was a night court judge noted for being lenient with ladies of the evening – to the point that cops complained they were back on the street two hours after appearing in his court. It was later found that he wasn’t just their judge, he was also a client. He never used checks, he charged it on his MasterCard.

18. seahawks19081 - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Am I the only one that wants Old Gator to go away?

19. banpeds - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM

As I’ve said all along, AROD is done. The other dozens of players involved will also be getting thier desereved due also. MLB has had so much on these CHEATERS for months.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester