Jul 22, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
One of the best feel-good stories of the season took an unfortunate turn this evening, as ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that Pirates closer Jason Grilli left a game against the Nationals in the ninth inning with right forearm discomfort.
Grilli was in obvious pain after he threw a pitch that was fouled off by Steve Lombardozzi. He walked off the field with a trainer before being replaced by Vin Mazzaro, who managed to finish off a 6-5 victory for his first major league save.
Grilli has been a revelation out of the closer role for the Pirates this season, posting a 2.34 ERA and 66/10 K/BB ratio over 42 1/3 innings while leading the National League with 30 saves. The 36-year-old recently made his first All-Star team and the cover of Sports Illustrated. He previously had Tommy John surgery in 2001 while with the Marlins.
The Pirates figure to turn to Mark Melancon at closer if Grilli needs to miss significant time. Acquired from the Red Sox in the Joel Hanrahan deal over the winter, the 28-year-old right-hander has a 0.97 ERA and 47/6 K/BB ratio over 46 1/3 innings this season.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 10
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 26
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 30
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (106)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)