Mariners manager Eric Wedge sent to hospital after experiencing dizzy spells

Jul 22, 2013, 10:01 PM EDT

Eric Wedge AP AP

Scary moment in Seattle. According to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, Mariners manager Eric Wedge was taken to the hospital tonight after he experienced dizzy spells on the field prior to a game against the Indians.

After being helped into the clubhouse by players, Wedge was evaluated by two team doctors at the ballpark. While he appeared to be feeling better, Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said that he was sent to the hospital as a precaution.

“He’s fine, he’s being evaluated by our doctors,” Zduriencik said. “Everything is good, looks real good. What we’re doing is, we’re going to be very cautious about this and he’s going to get checked tonight. We’ll run him up to the hospital just to make sure we cover all of our bases. But he’s talking well, he’s fine and everything seems to be normal.”

Bench coach Robby Thompson will manage the team this evening, but Zduriencik expects Wedge to be back for tomorrow’s game.

1. joenash72 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Eric Wedge was just suffering from shock. Mariners have swept the Angels, and then Houston, in consecutive series.

And I am a Mariners fan that is writing this. As a matter of fact, now that you mention it, I am feeling a little dizzy myself…….

• nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yep, it’s the rarified air of the win streak. My Jays experienced that for a bit, but are now back down where the air is thicker.

2. paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Obviously, this was a nefarious act committed by sabermetricians.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

There is no way this is a serious comment.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You are right. I have no memory of typing that though…might have only been on 1/2 cup coffee at that point.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

So, you wake up funny and then get serious as the day wears on?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Don’t know, considering that my level of self awareness may exhibit a diel pattern, I’m in no position to judge that.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM

That’s due to your subjective awareness. ;)

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

In that I am the subject of that awareness, you are correct. I am, however, subjectively objective about that subject and the objectives of it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

All these PEDs posts are boooooring. I have nothing to read. Wanna argue about something else?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sure…whatcha got?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Mustard v. ketchup? Burgers v. pizza? Anything but babies or PEDs.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Mustard >>>>> ketchup.

Ketchup’s only use is as a base to make other sauces.

I like burgers and pizza’s relatively equally….done right, each can be fantastic…done wrong, eww.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I like both! Are you seriously anti-ketchup on your fries? Not right. BTW, I love yellow mustard on a burrito. Shhhh.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Nope, no ketchup on fries. If fries are good, they don’t need anything but a little salt….if they are bad enough to need ketchup, they aren’t worth eating (to me).

Hmmmm, yellow mustard on burritos. Interesting, any kind of burrito? I might have to try that.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Mostly I do it on a bean burrito — instead of salsa or something. I like it but it does get you weird looks & scoffing.

I love ketchup on fries. Lotsa ketchup.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:18 PM

So booooooored.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, no day games sucks. No tornadoes or anything to spice life up a bit?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

No, just hot.

Who do you think gets Braun’s first on-camera in-depth interview? Olberman might be interesting, no? Or, Oprah again?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Don’t know, don’t care. Maybe that nice gay woman with the short hair. She’s pretty funny.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Piers Morgan?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That doesn’t sound right. I think that’s a home decorating store, isn’t it?

Ellen Degeneres! that’s it…I didn’t even have to google it.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I was just kidding. That’s a brand of scotch.

Oh, yeah, Ellen. Everybody loves Ellen.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Was she previously named Raymond, prior to having gender re-assignment surgery?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I never could understand why anyone watched that show. It had to have been the worst “sit-com” ever. It utterly lacked “com.”

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

It wasn’t particularly strong on the “sit” either.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I find shows with doofus husbands and bitter wives tiresome and not at all amusing. I can’t decide which is worse in our culture: the image of men or women.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, for now, it is probably a tie. It is comforting to know that across the board we choose to stereotype each group based on their worst perceived traits.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

One of my best friends — and you kinda remind me of him — likes to say that no one has a lower opinion of men than married women. And, yes, he’s married.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:05 PM

He probably right. It is hard to tell though. I have done experiments to see if women believe what they say about their husbands or not. Married people (men and women) LOVE to bitch about their spouses to friends of the same sex. I believe this is mostly an evolved behavior that has therapeutic value (i.e. they are just venting). If you jump in and agree with them (men or women) when they are bitching about their husband/wife and even pile on a little….MAN, do they jump to the defense of their spouse…and woman (defending their husbands) more so than men….so, it is hard to tell. Humans are silly creatures.

Some of the bitching, I think, is within the social competition of “my life is harder than your life” bitching. People love to bitch, and seem to need to bitch….and married people mostly do it about their spouses….so, it is a complex data set.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Get a lot of women bitching about their husbands to you, do ya?

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Not usually “to” me so much as “around me”. If you sit quietly with a group of women, they’ll tend to mostly ignore you and go about their normal discourse.

I also have a very large family, so when I am home visiting it is very easy to move about to sit with the group of men or women….they always segregate….it’s weird.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

That’s always an awkward thing for me because the women gravitate to one room and the discussion there tends to focus on husbands and babies — ie conversations I am not interested in participating in. But, I’m not necessarily inclined to join the men in conversation sometimes either (football, wives, blah).

FYI, whether you know it or not, they are cleaning up their discourse if you’re around. ;)

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I’m sure.

I’ve had the opportunity to watch how west Texas men talk when it is “just us” (meaning white guys) and how they talk/act when it is not (when women or non-white guys are around). Holy hell, what a bunch of racist misogynistic fucktards. I knew that company affected behavior some, but that was an eye opener for me…since then, I’ve always assumed my presence had some effect.

I strive to be pretty much the same asshole no matter who is around. I may change my language so as not to offend or be inappropriate, but you’ll pretty much the same content/opinion.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Wow, that makes me feel better about men. Thanks.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

No problem.

When I told my GF at the time about this dynamic, she said she APPRECIATED that men acted differently around women and wouldn’t want men to be rude like Yankees who act the same (or, at least, similar) around men and women. Somehow, she twisted their asshattery into a virtue.

FWIW, the only places I have observed such a dynamic is among southern white guys. I’m sure it occurs in other groups, I just haven’t or can’t be a part of those groups.

You know. While I was at Texas Tech, the president of the university stepped down amid scandal, despite it barely being investigated. During a meeting with the outgoing head of the law school, when talking about possible replacement, the good ol’ president said (according to the affidavit filed by the laywer) “There is no way that c*nt will ever be head of my law school.” in reference to a female professor who was considered a strong candidate for the job. Yes, the president of the university said that and did so to a freaking lawyer…but because it was a fellow white guy, he figure it was a “safe” environment to be honest. He went on to be president at OSU for a few years, then moved on to New Mexico (I think).

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Chivalry, dude. And, I might have been married to that guy. Just kidding, he wasn’t that smart. I love that kind of stuff actually, b/c they do think it’s safe & that’s what gets them in trouble. There’s usually one person that crap doesn’t sit well with in the room, and when I was an investigator, the trick was to find that person. That person is an excellent witness.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I am all for chivalry….I just didn’t know it required being a giant dick the rest of the time. Live and learn.

I still can’t get over the fact that an otherwise very smart man (good ol’ boy-ness aside) would ever think it was safe to say such a thing in front of a lawyer. Texans are odd though. I have never been around people that really think the truth is what they say it is (facts be damned) and the law is what they say it is (legality be damned) as much as Texans do.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

That’s the good ol’ boy system. And, I’ve heard attorneys talk like that — so he probably felt safe there. Most of them are white dudes too, you know.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, I know….but most of the professors at Texas schools are not Texan or good ol’ boys (despite their overt whiteness)…yes, most of the administration winds up being good ol’ boys because the boards of reagents have so much say in such things, but the actual “talent” at TX schools is mostly imported.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Which is where the disconnect comes from. It isn’t safe to say those things b/c the people listening might have a different cultural background where it’s not ok.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

One attorney on a case I worked seriously refused to correspond with me anymore b/c I insisted that he put “Ms.” in front of my last name when he sent me stuff. Also, there was another that just stopped putting salutations on his letters altogether. And, that’s exactly why I didn’t let them call me by my first name.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Jeez.

There is nothing that helps to form a negative opinion like having to deal with the thing itself. I likely wouldn’t think to highly of “southern” attitudes as it is….but living among them provided a lot of insight into exactly how backwards their attitudes are. It was a bigger cultural adjustment for me to live in Lubbock, Texas, than to live in Paraguay.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM

It was a huge adjustment for me to live in NE though too, and parts of the south I missed. I didn’t feel at home up there.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

PS I’m always slightly curious why you didn’t just get another job and stay in Paraguay…

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

No opportunity. If there was a job to be had, I would have stayed. There was (and continues to be) essentially no science-based jobs in the country. Nearly every Paraguayan the leaves to get a PhD has to get a job somewhere else or they just get a job that is unrelated to their degree working for some (probably shady) company.

Sadly, it isn’t the same country I knew. It used to be a very safe place. When I was there, nearly 1/3 of Paraguayans lived in Argentina or Brasil and sent money home. When the South American economy collapsed a decade ago. All of those people went back home and the money stopped. A country of very poor and desperate people leads to more crime and violence. The “todo tranquilo che’ra a” Paraguay I knew now only exists in the past.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I wasn’t actually going to pry.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I think that’s an argument AGAINST performance enhancing liquid, btw.

All the trade deadline news to know