Jul 22, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
Baseball has allegedly been ruined by drugs and doesn’t get it and the records have all been distorted and it’s a big fat disgrace and oh my goodness won’t someone think of the children.
Meanwhile, in the nation’s most popular sport:
NFL players will have a blood sample taken during training camp physicals as part of a population study for human growth hormone in order to determine the threshold for a positive test … The NFLPA board said in the memo that “several additional issues” need to be resolved, including the “issue of discipline” before an agreement with the NFL on HGH testing is reached and a proposal is brought to the players for a vote.
A source, meanwhile, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that even with the population study, “No one will be suspended for HGH use in 2013.”
I feel like this — a place where baseball was a couple of years ago — is going to be applauded as the NFL getting tough on drugs. Meanwhile, when players are actually disciplined under baseball’s drug testing program, people point at it as evidence of a problem. Maybe the NFL will get that treatment in 2014 or 2015 when they suspend their first 300+ pound speedster for drugs.
Heh, who am I kidding? The NFL will get a second tongue-bath for getting tough when that happens. If it happens.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)