Jul 22, 2013, 4:39 PM EST
Baseball has allegedly been ruined by drugs and doesn’t get it and the records have all been distorted and it’s a big fat disgrace and oh my goodness won’t someone think of the children.
Meanwhile, in the nation’s most popular sport:
NFL players will have a blood sample taken during training camp physicals as part of a population study for human growth hormone in order to determine the threshold for a positive test … The NFLPA board said in the memo that “several additional issues” need to be resolved, including the “issue of discipline” before an agreement with the NFL on HGH testing is reached and a proposal is brought to the players for a vote.
A source, meanwhile, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that even with the population study, “No one will be suspended for HGH use in 2013.”
I feel like this — a place where baseball was a couple of years ago — is going to be applauded as the NFL getting tough on drugs. Meanwhile, when players are actually disciplined under baseball’s drug testing program, people point at it as evidence of a problem. Maybe the NFL will get that treatment in 2014 or 2015 when they suspend their first 300+ pound speedster for drugs.
Heh, who am I kidding? The NFL will get a second tongue-bath for getting tough when that happens. If it happens.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 72
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (104)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)