Jul 22, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Baseball has allegedly been ruined by drugs and doesn’t get it and the records have all been distorted and it’s a big fat disgrace and oh my goodness won’t someone think of the children.
Meanwhile, in the nation’s most popular sport:
NFL players will have a blood sample taken during training camp physicals as part of a population study for human growth hormone in order to determine the threshold for a positive test … The NFLPA board said in the memo that “several additional issues” need to be resolved, including the “issue of discipline” before an agreement with the NFL on HGH testing is reached and a proposal is brought to the players for a vote.
A source, meanwhile, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that even with the population study, “No one will be suspended for HGH use in 2013.”
I feel like this — a place where baseball was a couple of years ago — is going to be applauded as the NFL getting tough on drugs. Meanwhile, when players are actually disciplined under baseball’s drug testing program, people point at it as evidence of a problem. Maybe the NFL will get that treatment in 2014 or 2015 when they suspend their first 300+ pound speedster for drugs.
Heh, who am I kidding? The NFL will get a second tongue-bath for getting tough when that happens. If it happens.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)