Jul 22, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Baseball has allegedly been ruined by drugs and doesn’t get it and the records have all been distorted and it’s a big fat disgrace and oh my goodness won’t someone think of the children.
Meanwhile, in the nation’s most popular sport:
NFL players will have a blood sample taken during training camp physicals as part of a population study for human growth hormone in order to determine the threshold for a positive test … The NFLPA board said in the memo that “several additional issues” need to be resolved, including the “issue of discipline” before an agreement with the NFL on HGH testing is reached and a proposal is brought to the players for a vote.
A source, meanwhile, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that even with the population study, “No one will be suspended for HGH use in 2013.”
I feel like this — a place where baseball was a couple of years ago — is going to be applauded as the NFL getting tough on drugs. Meanwhile, when players are actually disciplined under baseball’s drug testing program, people point at it as evidence of a problem. Maybe the NFL will get that treatment in 2014 or 2015 when they suspend their first 300+ pound speedster for drugs.
Heh, who am I kidding? The NFL will get a second tongue-bath for getting tough when that happens. If it happens.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)