Miguel Cabrera exits game with sore left hip flexor

Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT

Hernan Perez, Miguel Cabrera AP

Miguel Cabrera made an early exit from tonight’s game against the White Sox due to a sore left hip flexor, reports Chris Iott of MLive.com. He’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow, but will likely be listed day-to-day.

Cabrera appeared to tweak something after he scored on a Victor Martinez single in the top of the fifth inning. He stayed in the game initially, but walked gingerly off the field after he failed to make a play at third base on a grounder off the bat of Adam Dunn in the bottom of the frame.

One year after winning baseball’s first triple crown since 1967, Cabrera is batting .358/.454/.666 with 31 home runs and 96 RBI in 97 games this season. The Tigers entered play tonight with a slim 1 1/2 game lead over the Indians in the American League Central, so they are surely crossing their fingers that the injury turns out to be minor.

1. goodknave - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Now get that cheating Peralta suspended and the Tribe might be in business…..

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Way to live up to the mascot.

2. historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Eeeeeee! I hope MVP Miggy is okay. He likes to play through soreness and stuff but I hope they don’t risk making it worse. I predict some DH’ing in his future for a little break.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Doom!

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Only if he’s got hips like A-Rod.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Ah! Can he do the hippy hippy shake?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM

My boys are more inclined to drink shakes…although they are having a Dancing with the All-Stars event, and I understand MVP Miggy is participating (or was, that may have changed now). lol I asked Craig to do a post on it.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I wish him well. I need a healthy Miggy on my fantasy team. Good night.

3. goodknave - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:32 AM

The Tigers are a $148 million slow-pitch softball team. They may be the fattest major league team in the last 50 years.

You can’t win it all with that many obese statues on the field.

• philliesblow - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Maybe not, but until further notice they are in first place, as well as the 2 time defending AL Central champs. If I were you I’d be worrying about your pitching staff and dreading your annual 2nd half fade.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:41 AM

See Historio, it isn’t just me that thinks they look like a softball team.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM

1) if that dude is your backup, you are in a sad, sad group;
        2) why do you insist on subscribing to the silly notion that athletes must be skinny? They come in all shapes and sizes and often hitters are big guys. Don’t be closed minded; and
        3) thanks a lot — I wasn’t going to respond to him. Pbbblt. :(

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Poke Poke….hehehe.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM

trollylions

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

4) you know the 6-pack abs freak me out.

• imauggiedoggie - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

,,,show me ANYONE on a pro (or college) football team who plays on the line that sports ANYTHING other than a 1 pac ~ keep eatin’ dem cheezburdders boys, and we’ll still see you in october ~

4. detroitr1 - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

…and yet, they still beat Cleveland. How do you reconcile an obese team beating the more svelte Indians? That must be difficult to process.

5. unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

God – what a great slow pitch softball team they would be tho

• nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Yeah, they’d make a great beer league team, but do you want to foot the bill for all that beer?

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Hey!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3023)