Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera made an early exit from tonight’s game against the White Sox due to a sore left hip flexor, reports Chris Iott of MLive.com. He’ll be re-evaluated tomorrow, but will likely be listed day-to-day.
Cabrera appeared to tweak something after he scored on a Victor Martinez single in the top of the fifth inning. He stayed in the game initially, but walked gingerly off the field after he failed to make a play at third base on a grounder off the bat of Adam Dunn in the bottom of the frame.
One year after winning baseball’s first triple crown since 1967, Cabrera is batting .358/.454/.666 with 31 home runs and 96 RBI in 97 games this season. The Tigers entered play tonight with a slim 1 1/2 game lead over the Indians in the American League Central, so they are surely crossing their fingers that the injury turns out to be minor.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (85)