MLB commends Ryan Braun for taking responsibility. Which, OK. I guess he partially did.

Jul 22, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT

Ryan Braun AP AP

Ryan Braun and Major League Baseball have both issued statements in light of this afternoon’s bombshell suspension. First Braun:

“As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect.  I realize now that I have made some mistakes.  I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.  This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.  I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country.  Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates.  I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

That’s nice. Although it doesn’t account for the statements he made last year in which he impugned the integrity — however obliquely — of the MLB contractor who was responsible for shipping his sample. Nor has he acknowledged that he lied in his public statements regarding the nature of his relationship with Anthony Bosch earlier this year when he said his legal team used him as a consultant.

But MLB seems willing to look past that and put the Braun chapter of this mess in the rear-view mirror:

“We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions,” said Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs for Major League Baseball. “We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter.  When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field.”

It seems that the evidence against Braun was pretty darn strong. And that Braun was one of the players Michael Weiner had in mind when he said last week that the MLBPA would be strongly counseling players against whom there was overwhelming evidence to not appeal.

1. raysfan1 - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I believe in due process, loathe it when people want to declare someone guilty before the evidence is all in, and really hate things that taint the process like leaks.

However, the process for Braun is now done, and he is baseball’s version of Lance Armstrong. He was willing to put innocent people’s reputation in the trash bin to hide his guilt until no longer having any remotely plausible deniability. That was far worse than the cheating in the first place.

• raysfan1 - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Or to put another way, he’s not just a cheat but a scum. He gets the punishment he’s earned. He gets the ostracism as a pariah he deserves.

2. psunick - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Funny, I thought this process was going to take forever. No actions, no suspensions, appeals galore. Looks like those who claimed that are very wrong.

3. tigersfandan - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Braun’s statement was too vague and he was too easy on himself.

4. spc7ray - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM

He did NOT get what he deserved—Give his MVP to Kemp and kick him OUT of the Game period!–Kick Selig out also!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2849)