MLB commends Ryan Braun for taking responsibility. Which, OK. I guess he partially did.

Jul 22, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT

Ryan Braun AP AP

Ryan Braun and Major League Baseball have both issued statements in light of this afternoon’s bombshell suspension. First Braun:

“As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect.  I realize now that I have made some mistakes.  I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.  This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.  I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country.  Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates.  I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

That’s nice. Although it doesn’t account for the statements he made last year in which he impugned the integrity — however obliquely — of the MLB contractor who was responsible for shipping his sample. Nor has he acknowledged that he lied in his public statements regarding the nature of his relationship with Anthony Bosch earlier this year when he said his legal team used him as a consultant.

But MLB seems willing to look past that and put the Braun chapter of this mess in the rear-view mirror:

“We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions,” said Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs for Major League Baseball. “We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter.  When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field.”

It seems that the evidence against Braun was pretty darn strong. And that Braun was one of the players Michael Weiner had in mind when he said last week that the MLBPA would be strongly counseling players against whom there was overwhelming evidence to not appeal.

1. unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Apparently the deal is: roll over and play dead and MLB will play nice with you.

• sabatimus - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Play nice? MLB just suspended him for longer than a first-time positive test allows. Since there IS no positive test that isn’t tainted by handling problems, Selig just set a very tough precedent.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I’m using nice both ironically and relatively – let’s see how MLB treats the guys who don’t roll over. Their presentation to ARod was strong enough that he huddled up with his lawyers and didn’t go to his preseason rehab game. I’m thinking their evidence is very strong.

2. sabatimus - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Vin Diesel: “Today Jons, you get f**ked.”

3. myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM

“Although it doesn’t account for the statements he made last year in which he impugned the integrity — however obliquely — of the MLB contractor who was responsible for shipping his sample.”

He drug that person through the mud. Nothing “oblique” about it. Or did you forget this: “We spoke to biochemists and scientists, and asked them how difficult it would be for someone to taint the sample. They said, if they were motivated, it would be extremely easy.”

• sabatimus - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

That’s still oblique. There’s nothing directly accusatory in that quote.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

And you are obtuse. Care to throw any other Merriam Webster’s at me?

• sabatimus - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

That was uncalled for.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You and Craig see it one way, Matt and I see it another. IMO, your stance is obtuse, and I can’t believe you are still defending an admitted cheater.

4. baseballici0us - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yeah…after he lied his face off for two years.

5. El Bravo - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Certified Douchenozzle.

• historiophiliac - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Yipppeeeeee!!!!

6. baseballici0us - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Liar liar pants….$3.3 million lighter.

7. roverboy1949 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

You are perfect, Ryan. A perfect lying assh*le.So he gets to take the rest of this “lost” year off and come back next year with a clean slate. He should have been suspended for a full year. Let(make) him finish this year and force him to sit out next year. Sorry for the Brewers fans, but this penalty doesn’t mean a thing.
    Major League Baseball commends him for taking responsibility!! I don’t know who is more full of sh*t, Braun or MLB.

• 12is3times4 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Yeah, this deal stunk to high heaven the moment I heard of it. After all this time of denying it, Braun suddenly changes his tune… at a point in the season when it’s clear the Brewers are going nowhere, with or without him in the lineup.

And then his suspension turns out to be, not 50 games, not 100 games, but for the balance of the season – meaning Braun won’t be risking injury playing in any meaningless games this season, but will be good to go on Opening Day next year. How convenient.

It all stinks of the Brewers organization quietly “encouraging” Braun to take an early vacation.

• gopackgo5212 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:13 PM

So the brewers should be punished for Braun being a moron? He is getting suspended more than a first time offense requires. He isnt appealing either. So MLB cut him a deal to make sure he got suspended. Cant just bend rules cause you dont like braun.

• 12is3times4 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Except that it hardly hurts the Brewers at all. If anything, sitting Braun the entire balance of the season does the Brewers a favor, by ensuring that Braun won’t be seriously injured playing in a meaningless game the rest of this season – and at this point, pretty much all their remaining games would be meaningless anyway. Hence, my suspicion that the organization was in on it.

• gopackgo5212 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

It actually hurts the brewers a lot. They have been marketing braun for years as the face of the franchise. They gave him a big contract and this is how he repays them. They are screwed for a while. Need to make Jean Segura the face and maybe look into trading braun.

• gopackgo5212 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

And if they were in on it they would have brought someone up to take his place. They were taken by surprise by this too.

8. mikedi33 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

He actually is getting off easy. He has been hurt and the brewers are going nowhere. 50 games to start a new season last year would have been worse.

9. largebill - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Not sure if this is related, but today is the birthday of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel baseball beat reporter Tom Haudricourt. Kind of an odd birthday present from MLB (or from Braun).

10. largebill - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I have a feeling this thread won’t have discussion on getting off on a technicality.

11. rcali - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Pathetic response from MLB.

12. sdelmonte - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I do want to see the evidence. There is no legal obligation to share it, but I really would like to see it. And understand this strange suspension. (I suspect Marvin Miller is rolling in his grave over this.)

• rpb1234 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I doubt that the evidence will be released. Probably part of the deal so that Braun can try and minimize the damage and try and regain some sponsorship in the future. What ever it is, it must have been rock solid. Doesn’t look good for Arod.

13. indaburg - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Braun’s behavior is borderline sociopathic. I am deeply disappointed in him. I wanted to believe he was telling the truth. I watched that press conference last year, and he was so convincing, so eloquent. Yeah, I’m disappointed. I still believe in due process, but Braun–you’re kind of an asshole.

14. jetsfan79 - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Nobody cares

• indaburg - Jul 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You’re wrong.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM

go back to pft or yahoo or just crawl back under your rock

15. moonlandingwasfaked - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Maybe the worst part about all of this is the grandstanding and moralizing that will come from from Bob Costas and Tom Verducci. These guys really know how to make it smell when they fart.

16. braddavery - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Since this is neither a 50-game suspension or a 100-game suspension, what happens if he pisses dirty again? Lifetime ban or 100+ suspension?

• raysfan1 - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Excellent question.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It is being treated as a first time offense of the JDA. If he fails a test he would face a 100-game ban as a “second offense”.

17. miketreedy - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Should have been suspended for 100 games. They are already out of it this year. I guess the commissioner is trying to protect his Brewers.

18. mudhead123 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM

How are people commenting that they believed him when he tested positive? It was a positive test that was handled incorrectly. Talk about burying your head in the sand. (Ortiz we are still waiting for you to get to the bottom of what you tested positive for)

19. asterling45 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM

He was able to get off last season on a technecality & cost
    someone their job. What goes around comes around . He should have gotten more than just the end of this season.

20. kev86 - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I acknowledge Braun is a fraud!

21. pftusedtobemorefun - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM

What does Aaron Rodgers have to say???

22. stoutfiles - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM

“My name was dragged through the mud. … Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”

Yeah, that’s taking responsibility alright!

23. Marty Silvert - Jul 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Braun is nothing but a lying sack of S**T. He has lied and lied about taking peds. I really don’t care if he takes peds. If he felt that needed them to be better or heal faster, that is his business. However, he had his chance 1 1/2 years ago to be a MAN and admit his actions but he lied and left decent people out on a limb that were just doing their jobs.

24. joshfrancis50 - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I’m glad Ryan Braun is willing to “accept the consequences” of his actions after having lied multiple times and having a stack of evidence against him.

25. moogro - Jul 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I can’t get over the “I realize now that I have made some mistakes” line. It’s not like he was semi-conscious for a time and sobered up in rehab. That’s kinda chickenshit. He was always conscious and aware. “I admit now..” is more accurate.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto