MLB suspends Ryan Braun for the remainder of the season

Jul 22, 2013, 5:42 PM EDT

ryan braun getty Getty Images

MLB announced that Brewers left fielder Ryan Braun has been suspended for the remainder of the season for “violations of the Basic Agreement and its Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.”

Braun has already accepted the suspension and the former MVP issued a statement that said: “I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.”

Milwaukee has 65 games remaining and Braun has been suspended without pay, which means he’ll lose about $3.5 million. He finishes the year hitting .298 with nine homers and an .869 OPS in 61 games, missing time and seeing his production suffer due to a lingering thumb injury.

More coverage: Evidence against A-Rod reportedly goes beyond what Braun faced

Last year Braun successfully appealed a 50-game suspension for elevated testosterone levels on the grounds that the test sample was handled improperly, holding a press conference to proclaim his innocence and saying, among other things: “My name was dragged through the mud. … Today is for anyone who has been wrongly accused and everyone who stood up for what’s right. It’s about future players and the game of baseball.”

In light of today’s news, the quotes from that 2012 press conference are astounding.

149 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. otis52gsh - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I’m not judging just saying its a game. He is an easy target right now, and so will the others in the days to follow. Relax, none of this really matters in the big picture.

2. materialman80 - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

The rest of the year??? How about a lifetime ban from baseball. That is the only fair thing to do. No more BS from these guys, you test positive, you’re out forever. Not the 5th time, not the 2nd time, the first time. One time and out. Let’s bring back some integrity to the national past time.

• 2difshoe - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Agree…Braun’s a fraud !

Now he sits in fine company with the like’s of Sammy Steroid Sosa, corked bat and all, easily the BIGGEST cheat of all time…and I’m a Cub fan.

Hopefully the Brewer fans can get a refund from team owners for BS’ing them during Braun’s playing days.

The gall of Braun, to blatantly lie to baseball fans, those paying his HUGH salary.
      And to think Braun will come back one day to play again and act like it’s no big deal, just a simple mistake….yeah RIGHT !

• sdl65 - Jul 23, 2013 at 5:34 AM

I agree. Enough of this nonsense. You test positive your banned for life go get a lunch pail. It’s the only way they clean this game up. Either that or just make all the PEDS legal and be done with it. These guys know what they r doing and making conscious choices. MLB needs to be all in or all out. This half ass stuff is very bad for the game. It’s called leadership. The league could use some.

• lkmao - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would go even further. The players MUST return all the money that they’ve got from the time they are busted and the rest of their contract is voided. You need to send a strong message because this is not the last we’d hear about players cheated to get ahead. There is just too much money in it.

3. xkillswitchx - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Eh, I’m not gonna be down and out on the guy. I grew up playing baseball, I followed the sport as closely as the next biggest fanatic growing up. In recent years I’ve dwindled off in favor of hockey. It’s sad that as I pick baseball back up this is a more recurring issue among the athletes and one that is not dragging any particular players name through the mud, but rather the sport. I’d like to see guys who when their name is first put out there for this type of abuse be given a second chance but I’m also glad that in light of the fact that he is caught, he can own up to and deal with the situation. Not saying he doesn’t deserve a longer ban from the game but I really don’t even know who he is or his history. Either way…

GET your shit together MLB athletes, your abuse is tainting the game!

4. banpeds - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:46 PM

As I said before. Amazing how many people tried to defend all thes CHEATERS. People are going to amazed at the names coming out soon.

• jollyjoker2 - Jul 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Some one paying you a couple of million per year when all you have to do is stick a needle in you a few times per year or you sit in double AA because you don’t have enough power to hit it out of the infield. I don’t know about you, but I am going after the cash. the only thing this guy is sorry for is making the mistake of getting caught.

5. sincitybonobo - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I did. It seemed to flow well. Thanks for the assist!

6. denverdude7 - Jul 23, 2013 at 6:20 AM

I say let them juice up all they want. Baseball is no longer a sport anyway. It has become purely entertainment designed to grab every last dollar it possibly can. That is the main reason that MLB STILL has no hard salary cap even after the NFL has proven it works very well indeed.

Let’s face it, a Cleveland vs. Milwaukee World Series just isn’t going to sell as much beer and tortilla chips as a New York vs. Los Angeles World Series would.

So lets just cut the crap, let them juice up and put on a really good show !!!

7. desertpirate1146 - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM

“..mistakes..”?? A mistake is NOT intentionally lying, cheating, and slandering someone. He got off way too easy. He should be banned for life, and the guy HE “dragged through the mud” should sue and get every penny Braun has and ever will earn.

8. rick1k6 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Aaron Rodgers, just say you we’re duped. These days, it’s all the rage.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3425)