Ryan Braun should be pretty darn happy with 65 games

Jul 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT

ryan braun getty Getty Images

Ryan Braun is suspended for the rest of the year, which means a 65 game suspension. Those 65 games will cost him about $3.5 million.

It’s an absolute steal for Braun, methinks.

Partially because of what he could have faced. If you believe the reports which have flown hither and tither for the past few weeks, Major League Baseball was bound to bring the hammer down on Braun. Maybe 100 games! Maybe life! I doubt it actually would have come to that, and if it did, Braun could have fought hard against it, even if it was only to try to force some compromise. But now he doesn’t do that and Major League Baseball gets a pretty big head on a pretty tall pike.

Why didn’t he do that? Probably because the league had him dead to rights. But there are two other reasons why this works out as the best case scenario in what is overall a bad situation for the former NL MVP.

First, it’s a nice time for a break. Braun’s season has been riddled with injuries and the Brewers season has turned into a pretty depressing slog. The team wasn’t going to do anything this year and Braun was going to probably have nagging injuries which would keep him from doing anything to cut out and put in the personal scrapbook. Now, with his suspension limited to one season, he can get healthy, take the winter off and come back fresh in spring training 2014. It’s a win for him in that narrow regard and a win for Brewers fans who don’t have to face parts of multiple seasons without their best players.

Financially, though, now is the time for Braun to take his medicine. People may not realize it, but Braun is a pretty low-paid superstar at the moment. His 2013 salary: about $10 million. That’s part of a structured long term extension he signed in 2011 which has things really starting to escalate from 2016 through 2020, when he’ll make around $19 million. Sixty-five games at his rate right now is way better than 50 games — or less — next year.

Obviously this is not any sort of actual win for Braun. He’s suspended and his name is Mudd for the rest of his career. But he’ll be back to being a regular baseball player next season. And a highly paid one at that.

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. banpeds - Jul 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM

they got Braun using back to 07/08.

2. Last Road Reviews - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Braun is no superstar. He’s a cheater.

• ldawg2112 - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Most of baseball are cheaters then. Dont be so naïve. You have your head in the sand if you think only the guys who have failed tests are the only ones using. With no test for HGH, its safe to assume a massive number of guys are using. Even steroids, tests are extremely passable as long as you know what you’re doing.

• Last Road Reviews - Jul 23, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Where did I say Braun or the others that were caught are the only ones? I’ll get my head out of the sand when you learn how to read properly.

And how do you know most guys are cheating? Are you with them on a regular basis? Perhaps you should present facts before accusing.

3. vstar1us - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:50 AM

The Brew Crew are better off without this cancer, for anyone who played the game for the love of the game! Sure some are talented enough to be a Pro Ball Player and some of are not, I hope the Cancer just does not come back!

4. luz56 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I just got myself a new job a new contract that pays me millions of dollars… I cheated on my SATs I cheated on my four years of school got myself a degree and now my employer just found out… Too bad the jokes on them my contract was guaranteed

5. spc7ray - Nov 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Kick him out of the game also–Give his MVP to Matt Kemp too—This is clearly unfair–Piazza lost at least 1 MVP to a roid user that died from roids–Throw this guy out of the game and Selig too!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3678)