Jul 22, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: Rosenthal now says it’s a done deal, with the Cubs sending Garza to the Rangers for Triple-A third base prospect Mike Olt, Single-A pitching prospect C.J. Edwards, MLB right-hander Justin Grimm, and a player to be named later.
Olt was a consensus top-50 prospect coming into the season and Edwards has been unbelievably good at Single-A as a 21-year-old, so regardless of what you think of Grimm’s mid-rotation potential that’s a damn good haul for what’s essentially two months of Garza. And the Rangers have added a frontline starter for a potential playoff run.
With trade rumors swirling Cubs manager Dale Sveum was asked yesterday if Matt Garza would still be around to make his scheduled start tonight and replied: “I’d say 100 percent he’s going to be pitching.”
Sveum then immediately put into question his concept of “100 percent” by adding that “if we get a phone call and something changes, that’s the way it is.” And apparently that’s exactly what happened, because Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Garza will not start for the Cubs tonight and the long-rumored trade to the Rangers is finally “near.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)