And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights

Jul 23, 2013, 6:56 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Rays 3, Red Sox 0: Matt Moore throws his first career shutout and it came in the first game of what, so far this year, is the Rays biggest series. Two hits allowed, one walk four strikeouts as the Rays cut a game off the Sox’ division lead, now sitting a half game back.

Reds 11, Giants 0: Bronson Arroyo‘s 100th win as a Red comes on a shutout in which he scattered seven hits. It was his sixth shutout all-time. Tim Lincecum had eight days to rest his arm after his 148-pitch no-hitter. Didn’t help much, as he was roughed up to the tune of eight runs on nine hits in three and two-thirds.

Rangers 3, Yankees 0: The third shutout of the night, though this one was a team effort. Yu Darvish brought it into the seventh and then three relievers took it from there. Nelson Cruz homered to help the Rangers to victory. If yesterday’s big news is a harbinger — and it’s hard to see how it isn’t — don’t get used to Cruz helping you out for the rest of this season, Texas fans.

Pirates 6, Nationals 5: The Pirates win, yes, and Andrew McCutchen had two homers, but all anyone wants to talk about is how they’ve lost Jason Grilli to what, by appearances, is a serious arm injury. The Nationals, meanwhile, are a hot mess. Or a cold mess. Whichever mess is the worst.

Dodgers 14, Blues Jays 5: Can’t stop the Dodgers. Oh, wait, I’m sorry: can’t stop the first place L.A. Dodgers. Who were nine and a half games back on June 22nd. A.J. Ellis drove in five. Skip Schumaker hit a three run bomb. Then dropped some bombs after the game.

Braves 2, Mets 1: Jason Heyward does not always play center field. But when he does, he makes game-saving catches. Stay frustrated, my Mets friends.

Padres 5, Brewers 3: The Brewers lost with Ryan Braun this season and they can lose without him too, so in that regard nothing has changed. Not having Corey Hart all year has been just as big a problem. Nightmare year for Milwaukee.

Tigers 7, White Sox 3: Max Scherzer won his 14th game, but Miguel Cabrera left with a sore hip flexor. Unless I’m missing a stint at one time with Florida, I don’t believe he’s ever been on the disabled list. Chris Sale struck out 11 and allowed only two earned runs, but the White Sox allowed five unearned overall. Bad defense aside, Adam Dunn did make one really nice play at first which caused me to almost do a spit take.

Marlins 3, Rockies 1: Miami finally ends their scoreless streak at 37 innings when Giancarlo Stanton hit an RBI double in the first. After the game Logan Morrison made a funny when he said that you know the Marlins are clean given how crappy their offense is.

Orioles 9, Royals 2: Tampa Bay is on the verge of overtaking Boston, but don’t sleep on Baltimore. The O’s are now 2.5 back after taking their fifth game in a row. Three RBI a piece from All-Stars Chris Davis and J.J. Hardy.

Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 2: Arizona surrenders first place as emergency starter Chris Rusin — called on to replace the just-traded Matt Garza — held the Dbacks scoreless until the sixth inning. Love that Garza trade for Chicago, by the way.

Athletics 4, Astros 3: A two-run homer for Josh Reddick and a solo shot for Chris Young. The A’s are taking extreme advantage of their new division mates, upping their record to 10-0 against the Astros this year.

Twins 4, Angels 3: Player of the game Clete Thomas. Homer, RBI double and a nice grab on what would have been a go-ahead homer by Chris Iannetta.

Mariners 2, Indians 1: The Mariners — playing this one without Eric Wedge — won their seventh in a row. Kendrys Morales and Mike Zunino each homered and Aaron Harang pitched seven strong innings. Not that I feel like they’re competitive, but the M’s did tie the Angels in the standings.

1. dan1111 - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Arroyo sure has made a career for himself, hasn’t he? I was a fan of his way back with the Red Sox, and thought the Sox really treated him poorly when he signed a below market deal because he wanted to stay with the team, and they immediately traded him.

253 above-average starts later, I guess you can say the Sox got what they deserved.

• sandpiperair - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Nobody deserves Wily Mo Pena!

2. unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Matt Moore was outstanding while Workman was merely workmanlike. Burgie says that whoever wins the next game will take first. I prefer to think that whoever wins will stay in first. Potato – puh-tah-toe. It’s fun to tune in to the first playoff-looking series of the season.

• indaburg - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I don’t know about staying in first. I have a feeling there will be a whole lot of back and forth and trading places. Playoff baseball in July? This IS fun.

Tonight, you get the Faustian, so I expect the Sox to hold on to 1st for another night.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Who can say – the juxtaposition of Moore and the artist formerly known as Dr. Faustus may cause confusitation of the bats.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Nice game by Moore. Fausto made a pact with the devil. Not sure how he will pitch today. nbjays said it all, regarding last night’s Jays game so I will refrain from saying more.

• hittfamily - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

We lost Big Game James, but we still have No Score Matt Moore. What a performance. The weirdest thing though: He struck out 4 in a row in the 2nd and 3rd, and none after. I’ll take it. When he made the postseason start in 2011, I remember thinking “That is the easiest 97 I have ever seen”. He’s only topping out at 94, but has really located the ball well his last few starts.

• nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM

‘Burgie, I will take the Rays in first place over the Sawx or the Borg any day. It’s nice to see a team in the lead that isn’t all puffed up with a sense of entitlement. Since my Jays are a bust (barring some freaking miracle), I would like to see the Rays and Orioles go 1-2 in the AL East. And I don’t even really care who is first or second.

• indaburg - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Thanks, nb. (C’mon, you want the Rays in 1st… :-)

I feel for your team and its fans, nb. I have a serious soft spot for long suffering fans, especially when they’re smart and funny. I wanted your Beavermen and my boys to fight it out for first. Barring some miracle? Look at the Rays in 2011. What a September. You never know.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Dr. Faustus has done quite well against the Sawks lifetime but today he seems to be up high in the zone with everything.

Papi TOOTBLAN! Arrggh.

3. nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM

5 errors??? 5 FREAKING ERRORS???? Jesus, boys, this is no way to try to win a ballgame. And JJ was JJ as usual, it seems (although he only gave up one homer). So far this year, the 2013 Jays are taking a page from the 1942 Washington Senators. As owner Clark Griffith once said “”Fans like home runs. And we have assembled a pitching staff to please them.” My only consolation is that the Borg got Darvished last night.

That said, I’ll step aside now so dirtyharry1971 can come on and drone on ad nauseum with his one-note symphony of how bad the Jays suck. Ladies and gentlemen….. dirtyharry!

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I was feeling for you Blue Jays fans. For one, I like Canada. It’s like a whole other country but ya’ll speak English…. and when you don’t, you speak in French… The first I heard of the Blue Jays was a Bob Bailor baseball card, and he looked so glum. Danny Ainge was playing 3rd base then? Come on… how cute is that.

You’re just up against a buzzsaw right now. It’s okay… Your mayor smokes crack. Well, DC used to have a mayor who smoked crack. Dodgers swept DC. Toronto is the popular choice for the capital of Canada. Stuff happens. Just keep your chins up, Toronto. Try to make it through the next couple of games without getting too hard on yourselves.

• nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Hey, I may be a die hard Jays fan, but I live no where near Toronto…. a fact for which I am eternally grateful.

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I couldn’t stomach it after the 7th inning, nb. I never turn off baseball, but I turned off that game. Went and tried to walk my dog. 4 losses in a row. arg. The BeaverMen suck so bad right now James Dyson is investigating them for possible floor cleaning ideas.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:15 AM

you couldn’t stomach it? Come on now, you got the stomach to sit there on the couch next to your 350lb GF and that don’t bother ya, a few errors in a baseball game shouldn’t be bothering you either

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Ah. Thank you ‘harry. Like a trained monkey, there you are, as predicted. /poo FLUNG

Say…how did The Empire fare last night? Oooooo….a loss was it? With No Run Support? Tsk.

Ah well. Take it easy UYF, COPO, Len, bigharold, TheRestOfTheStormTroopers; think of it as a market correction for the first half. We all suffer from that once in a while.

As for YOU ‘harry: please. Do go on. From your rooting interests position of superiority in the division, I’m sure the view from your chimp cage is far superior to the one from my couch.

And hey, MY GF is a trim attractive lady. And, more to the point, an ACTUAL lady, too. Not like the blow up doll you’ve been given by your handlers to keep you from disgracing the Zoo Keepers leg.

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM

cur obviously doesn’t know the rules, Rule #1` if your team is below .500 you have no room to talk about another person’s team unless they are also below .500. So I say to you, check the standings but make sure you have your barf bag handy cause your gonna need it. #2 you don’t even have a GF so stop the lies right there. Also what is with the fascination with the word poo? I mean who uses that word except a 3 year old? Seriously im starting to feel bad for you, come up with a more grown up word., I bet even you can. And with that said I will leave you with one last thing, Montreal is never getting another team back and before you know it the bluejays will be playing the expos in baseball heaven somewhere. God I love it

• cur68 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Doubling down today, ‘harry? Must have got some good fibre in the ‘ole diet, eh? Lots of ammo.

/more poo flung

• rockthered1286 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM

GF jokes? I feel like this merely formalities being exchanged before we start seein “yo momma jokes”

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM

DH, can’t wait until the Yanks plummet below .500 and watch you break Rule #1 on a daily basis.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I LOVE yo momma jokes!

• dirtyharry1971 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM

thank you thank you everyone, hey how about Josh “1 win” Johnson? I mean is this guy gonna ever win his 2nd game? (drum roll) Last nite was a great game for Josh, 67 pitches to complete 2 innings!! (drum roll) Josh is a lot like grounds hog day, you can count on him to do something once a year (drum roll)

• Jeremy T - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You know, I think you’re actually improving! You’ve risen from angry monkey to hack comic.

4. historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM

His Heterochromianess, y’all!

Conference on the mound: That MVP Miggy is purty good. Mehbeh we shouldn’t throw so he can hit it. Where’s that? Yeah, less walk ‘im. *Intentional walk* Hey, what’re you doing throwing all these balls to Prince? Wuhl, I’m tryin’ not to throw wheres he can hit it. Word. *Walk* Okay, okay, okay, we can’t walk any more. We gotta get the fans off their phones or they’ll be overloadin’ there wi-fi. Okay, I’ll throw it right this time and hope V-Mart isn’t on a hittin’ strick. Oh, damn.

Hey, and that Pena kid is working out. What kinda dog is all yippy and quick but fat and smart? He’s one of those.

Rowr!

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I believe the animal you were searching for is called a “Tigger”

• nbjays - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:29 AM

The wonderful thing about Tiggers, is Tiggers are wonderful things.

Historio, I hope Miggy’s hip flexor is ok. I’d hate to have to go all “DOOM!” on you… :-)

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

We all just want Miggy to keep going Boom! Not Doom!

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Y’all’s doomification is premature.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM

No one wants doom – now you’re just seeing trolls everywhere.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I wonder why that is, TMcT.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Huh – what – who? /innocently looks around for someone matching that description

• dink53 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

One of two things will happen. Either Miggy will be Wally Pipp to Don Kelley’s Lou Gehrig, hahahahaha, or Nick Castellanos finally makes his MLB debut at third while MIggy goes on vacation for fourteen days.

5. stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM

And the hapless Astros throw away another solid starting performance. A few of glimmering bright spots out of this (but not much):

1. Dallas Keuchel was not saddled with a loss he didn’t deserve.
    2. The Astros have admitted that the experiments with over-the-hill veterans have been a complete failure (See Cedeno, Carter DFA’s yesterday). They will find their true inner AAA and go with it.
    3. One more shot at a #1 draft choice starts to look like a lock for them.

Still interested to see what happens with Norris in the next week.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Reports have put the asking price on Norris somewhere been “comical” and “ridiculous” so unless something changes before then he’s probably not going anywhere.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I’m okay with that. He is their best hope every week that a losing streak is only four games long. He has his occasional blowup, but is a fairly solid #3 pitcher. At some point you have to field some kind of talent to have hope of getting butts in the seats.

If they are looking for a “comical” return on him, that may indicate that the Astros do want to hold onto him.

• APBA Guy - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Well, in fairness Tex, if anyone was throwing away the game in a literal sense it was the A’s, with their lovely 3 errors in 3 innings, nicely leading to 3 Astros runs. If the Astros had anyone in the bullpen who could keep the ball out of the center of the zone the ‘Stros would have had their first win of 2013 v. the A’s, whose “A” relief, Cook, Doolittle, Balfour combined for 3 IP, 0 hits, and 6 K’s.

Still, even a blind man can see the Astros have made progress. The defense is tighter, Keuchel pitched well, making few mistakes. But the swagger difference is palpable, something I think the A’s must have learned from watching the Yankees and Red Sox come into the Mausoleum all these years strutting around, showing off all that WS bling.

The G & P Beane has a lot to think about, watching the A’s kick it around this game. Donaldson’s bat means you live with his defense, which is on the good side of average, but is not top quality. Lowrie is dangerous at short. He knows the game, but doesn’t have the tools to play contender quality short. Nobody on the A’s roster can hit enough to play 2nd, and only Sogard is a plus defender in the infield. Freiman is a liability at first, Moss is just average. The outfield is very good, but Crisp’s arm has descended into Jonny Damon territory. You can see him defer to Cespedes and Reddick on any hits in the gap.

The good news is that it looks like, according to Comcast Bay Area, that El Capitan will escape further action from Biogenesis since he served his 50 last season.

So as Beane ponders the boiling cauldron and looks for a fresh newt to throw in the brew, we A’s fans wonder what he’ll pull off this year to strengthen the team. They need the help, especially at middle infield.

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Interesting stuff, APBA, but I’m a little less sanguine. Astros still lead the league in errors and have the highest ERA. Castro can hit, but he will never be a MLB-Average catcher. No arm, very little glove. Their lone claim to an “All Star” In Altuve has an OBP under .330. Everyone else, and I mean everyone, is on the bubble.

But they are in full monty rebuild, more so than just about any other team has attempted.

There is only one way out of the tunnel. So we hang on.

• APBA Guy - Jul 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

They do have a long way to go, but what I saw was a team playing aggressively, stealing off Milone and Norris, and basically holding their heads up until Reddick’s HR. If they continue to play hard and add talent, sooner or later will become sooner. Remember, the A’s went through this from 2007-2011.

6. natslady - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Not much good happening for my Nats. Five runs vs. the Dodgers all weekend–boy them Dodgers is HOT!

So five runs last night but the pitching gives up six! Fire your hitting coach (new one hasn’t arrived yet, so can’t say he’s a miracle worker), and your manager is asked by a reporter if he’s quitting–um, yeah, that’s a team whose season is on the proverbial ropes…

• stex52 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Hate to see the Nats so pathetic, but for selfish reasons. My Fantasy team leans fairly heavily on them. This is a real case of a team being less than the sum of its parts. Firing a hitting coach has always struck me as the definition of window dressing. But I’m not sure what you should do when such a talented group performs so pitifully.

• natslady - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I mean, there always is, in these situations, but this is tough. As you say, the team is less than the sum of its parts–where do you look? You have to look at Davey, who has made mistake after mistake in-game and is NOT inspiring off the field. Yet, you can’t fire him. I wouldn’t fire him. Gotta live with him. Gotta find a way to win games.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Who was the reporter? It’s kind of a B.S. question when you think about it – what is Davey supposed to say? Yes is the wrong asnwer, obviously, and if he says no it is followed by “So are these guys hurt? Do they just stink?”. I just don’t like questions like that

That said, he sould not have walked out. But it is understandable

• spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yeah, saw some of the Nats/Dodgers game last night, and Washington looks flat, not much fire. Gone from “Natitude” to “Lassitude”.

7. brockw82 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Love the comments by Schumaker

8. sdelmonte - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:01 AM

ATH has become a lot more crucial for me today. Because I am pretty much leaving any other sports website and all sports radio until the PED suspensions are old news. I will not expose myself to the endless handwringing and moralizing every other media outlet has. And therefore, I will get all my info on the suspensions, and most of my scores and baseball news, from HBT for possibly the next six weeks.

Thankfully, Craig doesn’t gloat too when his Braves beat my Mets. And I would rather lose on a spectacular play by the other team than a miscue by mine.

• historiophiliac - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Welcome to my world. Less is more.

• unclemosesgreen - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:44 AM

YOU AND CRAG AND ALL THE OTHER STUROID APLOGISTS SHULD GET TOGETHER AND HAVE A SIRCLE JERK WHAT A FRAUD FREE AARON HERNANDEZ

/s

9. rockthered1286 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The Yardbirds are quietly enjoying their 5 game win streak, despite a stranding I believe 10 runners or so last night? Blah. Hopefully they keep it going tonight. Gotta keep pace with them there Rays! They are just ridiculous.

sidebar- Feldman with a GREAT putting last night. This O’s rotation is starting to look a little more formidable and not so heavily reliant on the pen to save their hides for 4+ inning every night. Hazaa.

• rockthered1286 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM

EDIT FUNCTION I beggeth of thee….

10. stlouis1baseball - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We took the kids to their 1st Cardinals game on Saturday.
    The bad guys won…but the kids had a blast.
    Wonderful seats. 12th row…down the 1st baseline. Padded seats…access to the air conditioned lounge. Great time (in spit of the loss by the Birds on the Bat).
    Lots of shopping at Union Station…some pool time.
    The Arch on Sunday prior to heading home. Good weekend.

11. spudchukar - Jul 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The Most Interesting Man in the World can hit, unlike Heyward.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3337)