Brewers send Francisco Rodriguez to the Orioles

Jul 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT

francisco rodriguez getty Getty Images

The Brewers have sent 31-year-old veteran reliever Francisco “K-Rod” Rodriguez to the Orioles for Minor League infielder Nick Delmonico, reports MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli. Rodriguez has rebounded nicely from a tough 2012 season. This year, he has a 1.09 ERA in 24.2 innings, logging ten saves in as many opportunities.

Delmonico, 20, has spent the season with Single-A Frederick in the Carolina League. In 262 trips to the plate, he has hit 13 home runs with an .822 OPS. Ghiroli says the Orioles were reluctant to part with Delmonico, but given the problems the team has had with closer Jim Johnson and others in the bullpen, the Orioles felt like it was worth it for the upgrade.

The Orioles have moved Nolan Reimold to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the 40-man roster for Rodriguez. They will add him to the 25-man roster tomorrow.

1. therealbigben - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

let the fire sale begin!!

• Bryz - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

OH MY GOD WE’RE HAVING A FIRE

sale.

• therealbigben - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

LORD JESUS IT”S A FIRE! K-rod didn’t grab his shoes or nothin…. he just ran!

2. theaxmancometh - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Good pickup for the Crew for a guy who nobody even wanted to sign this offseason. Probably a few years away from the bigs, but good power numbers in the minors.

• randomdigits - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

He can hit but it doesn’t look like he will stick at third and the offensive bar is very high at first. He has also had some injury history.

3. proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM

That trade ought not change the balance of power in the AL.

• 1chinatown - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

As a Brewer fan…..yes there are still plenty of us…..I am disapointed to see the team let him go.

I would have hoped they would have signed him for next year. I always felt comfortable when he entered in the 9th. I believe with this move that the Orioles will now win the East.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I like KRod too but he’s not the future of this team so this is a good deal. And I don’t know how you could always feel comfortable when he came into the game. He got the job done more often than not but they called it 20 minutes of hell for a reason.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Red Sox really could have used the guy. Nice pickup by the Orioles.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Good flip Doug!

5. psuravens19 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

As an O’s fan, I hate the trade. Was excited to see Delmonico come through the ranks.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:31 PM

You guys are winning right now. You gotta go for it all. By the time this guy is ready you guys could be a doormat again.

• jayscarpa - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I don’t know a lot about the O’s but Delmonico is a 3B, right? Where were they going to play him with Davis/Machado at the corners? Sounds like a pretty good deal for both teams.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Machado was a SS until Hardy forced him over to 3B. How long is Hardy’s contract?

• dondada10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Machado in his prime, playing short, is going to have a couple of ~10 WAR seasons.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

JJ is signed through ’14 according to Cots.

• pipkin42 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Schoop is another (more hyped) 3B prospect the Orioles have, albeit one who seems a bit injury-prone.

This seems like a lot for a rental on a reliever, but so it goes, I suppose.

• randomdigits - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Delmonico isn’t going to stick at third.

• larrymahnken - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Most prospects never pan out, so it’s unlikely this trade will come back and bite them.

• 18thstreet - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM

True story. I mean, I fall in love with my team’s prospects all the time. But the fact is, most of them don’t work out.

6. bronco58lb - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

HURRY! Rush to your roto league and see if anybody dropped Jim Henderson when he lost his job.

• thinkfirstthenspeak - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Who’s Jim Henderson?

• pbastille - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I think he meant Jim Henson, the muppet guy. He hasn’t worked in years.

7. rockthered1286 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

My question- is he going to be Johnson’s set up man for the 8th and move O’Day out of that role? Or are Jimmy’s days numbered? Something is bound to happen in that pen…

• joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The greater question was why didn’t Buck go to Johnson for the save in the last Ranger game? He went with Matusz then O’Day. That was a prime spot to use your closer, and he chose not to. Is there something else going on with Jim Johnson???

• edouble86 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I believe JJ had pitched in the previous couple games. He was unavailable to pitch.

8. kevinravens1 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

This is a great move for the Orioles. They get a solid reliever, which was a position that we desperately needed after we got rid of Strop. Our bullpen needs help, and we definitely got an upgrade today.

9. 1chinatown - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

10. dondada10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The other day I was shocked to learn that C.C. Sabathia is 33 years old. Today I’m shocked to learn that K-Rod is only 31.

Was he 16 when the Angels won the Series?

Scott Spiezio was in a band…

• rockymountainoysters - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

31-11 = 20

11. skipbaylesslovesmen - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:44 PM

O’s starters get to 6th inning and its game over. Combination of K-Rod, O’day, Hunter, and Johnson will slam the door. Shortening games is how you win playoff series.

12. barkleyblows - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Only brewer fans get excited about prospects. Just like the old days…. 27 more years of losing is on it’s way again.

• brewcitybummer - Jul 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Damn, someone should probably tell Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus that.

• paperlions - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM

….and fans of the other 29 teams as well.

13. cwaldo5252 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

This seems like a lot for a rental on a reliever, but so it goes, I suppose.

Schoop plays 2nd and definitely isn’t injury prone. You might want to look into that a bit more.

14. ncm42 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Starting pitching would be nice.

15. joeflaccosunibrow - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I would trade Hammel and a bag of balls for someone else’s DFA’d starter

• psuorioles - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

As sloppy as he looked last night, he did qualify for a Quality Start… He gave them a chance to win, but they couldn’t get anything going with the bats.

16. Rick Cosmo - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I would’ve have kept Strop. Feldman isn’t much help for the rotation.

17. rockthered1286 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Cosmo- Feldman just went 8IP, 2ER 6K last night. I’d take that over the garbage Arrieta was throwing out there every night of the week and twice on Sundays. Meanwhile Hammel has completely fallen apart. No location, loss of velocity, hanging everything… I’d slide him out for a start or two and see what Steve Johnson/Wada/Gausman/Britton can do. I’ve seen 1 quality start in Hammels last 6 outings now. ERA is up over 5.5. And this was our opening day starter mind you.

18. watermelon1 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Wow, orioles actually making moves? Guess they are finally trying to put it all together and go for it!

19. muskyhunter2542 - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Brewers will try to trade:
    Lohse
    Gillardo (wich I dont understand)
    Jon Axford