Jul 23, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
With everyone focused on when Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter might come off the disabled list, Curtis Granderson got three plate appearances in a simulated game at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Florida.
Granderson has been out for two months with a fractured left pinkie finger and afterward told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he’s basically back to where he was in spring training in terms of game readiness: “I need some swings right now. That’s the main thing I’m missing.”
Granderson has played just eight games for the Yankees all season between two lengthy disabled list stints, but is now close to beginning a minor-league rehab assignment and seems on track to come off the shelf in early August.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12