Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Now that Matt Garza has been traded Jake Peavy is likely viewed by many teams as the most attractive veteran starter available before July 31, and the White Sox right-hander certainly sounds like he expects to be dealt.
Peavy looked good in his return from the disabled list Saturday and is scheduled to make his next start Thursday, but told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
Just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there so to speak. You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market and kind of happen before. That’s my mind, my general manager mind. … We’ll see how the next few days plays out.
In other words, now that Garza is headed to Texas he expects to be the next frontline starter leaving Chicago.
For two months of Garza the Cubs were able to get two very good prospects (Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards) and a young potential mid-rotation starter (Justin Grimm), so what can the White Sox get for Peavy considering he’s signed for next season at $14.5 million? Peavy has plenty of his own injury issues and is three years older than Garza at 32, but he’s been very good since last season with a 3.58 ERA and 263/64 K/BB ratio in 292 innings and any team acquiring him would be getting about 45 starts instead of a dozen or so from Garza.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)