Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Now that Matt Garza has been traded Jake Peavy is likely viewed by many teams as the most attractive veteran starter available before July 31, and the White Sox right-hander certainly sounds like he expects to be dealt.
Peavy looked good in his return from the disabled list Saturday and is scheduled to make his next start Thursday, but told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
Just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there so to speak. You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market and kind of happen before. That’s my mind, my general manager mind. … We’ll see how the next few days plays out.
In other words, now that Garza is headed to Texas he expects to be the next frontline starter leaving Chicago.
For two months of Garza the Cubs were able to get two very good prospects (Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards) and a young potential mid-rotation starter (Justin Grimm), so what can the White Sox get for Peavy considering he’s signed for next season at $14.5 million? Peavy has plenty of his own injury issues and is three years older than Garza at 32, but he’s been very good since last season with a 3.58 ERA and 263/64 K/BB ratio in 292 innings and any team acquiring him would be getting about 45 starts instead of a dozen or so from Garza.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 0
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 79
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)