Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Now that Matt Garza has been traded Jake Peavy is likely viewed by many teams as the most attractive veteran starter available before July 31, and the White Sox right-hander certainly sounds like he expects to be dealt.
Peavy looked good in his return from the disabled list Saturday and is scheduled to make his next start Thursday, but told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
Just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there so to speak. You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market and kind of happen before. That’s my mind, my general manager mind. … We’ll see how the next few days plays out.
In other words, now that Garza is headed to Texas he expects to be the next frontline starter leaving Chicago.
For two months of Garza the Cubs were able to get two very good prospects (Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards) and a young potential mid-rotation starter (Justin Grimm), so what can the White Sox get for Peavy considering he’s signed for next season at $14.5 million? Peavy has plenty of his own injury issues and is three years older than Garza at 32, but he’s been very good since last season with a 3.58 ERA and 263/64 K/BB ratio in 292 innings and any team acquiring him would be getting about 45 starts instead of a dozen or so from Garza.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (97)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)