Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Now that Matt Garza has been traded Jake Peavy is likely viewed by many teams as the most attractive veteran starter available before July 31, and the White Sox right-hander certainly sounds like he expects to be dealt.
Peavy looked good in his return from the disabled list Saturday and is scheduled to make his next start Thursday, but told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
Just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there so to speak. You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market and kind of happen before. That’s my mind, my general manager mind. … We’ll see how the next few days plays out.
In other words, now that Garza is headed to Texas he expects to be the next frontline starter leaving Chicago.
For two months of Garza the Cubs were able to get two very good prospects (Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards) and a young potential mid-rotation starter (Justin Grimm), so what can the White Sox get for Peavy considering he’s signed for next season at $14.5 million? Peavy has plenty of his own injury issues and is three years older than Garza at 32, but he’s been very good since last season with a 3.58 ERA and 263/64 K/BB ratio in 292 innings and any team acquiring him would be getting about 45 starts instead of a dozen or so from Garza.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)