Jul 23, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Now that Matt Garza has been traded Jake Peavy is likely viewed by many teams as the most attractive veteran starter available before July 31, and the White Sox right-hander certainly sounds like he expects to be dealt.
Peavy looked good in his return from the disabled list Saturday and is scheduled to make his next start Thursday, but told Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
Just thinking about leverage and stuff, you think Garza is probably the biggest name out there so to speak. You would think other teams would wait until that to set the market and kind of happen before. That’s my mind, my general manager mind. … We’ll see how the next few days plays out.
In other words, now that Garza is headed to Texas he expects to be the next frontline starter leaving Chicago.
For two months of Garza the Cubs were able to get two very good prospects (Mike Olt, C.J. Edwards) and a young potential mid-rotation starter (Justin Grimm), so what can the White Sox get for Peavy considering he’s signed for next season at $14.5 million? Peavy has plenty of his own injury issues and is three years older than Garza at 32, but he’s been very good since last season with a 3.58 ERA and 263/64 K/BB ratio in 292 innings and any team acquiring him would be getting about 45 starts instead of a dozen or so from Garza.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)