Jul 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Marquis will undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking him out until at least the middle of next season.
Jason Marquis has a 4.05 ERA in 35 starts since joining the Padres in the middle of last year, but the veteran right-hander will miss the remainder of the season with an elbow injury.
Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Marquis “has significant damage to the ulnar collateral ligament,” which is the injury that leads to Tommy John surgery. For now no decision has been made about surgery, but his season is over and at age 34 his career is in jeopardy too.
Marquis signed a cheap deal with the Padres last season after being released by the Twins in May and then re-signed with San Diego on a one-year, $3 million deal this winter.
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 22
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 10
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 100
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)