Jul 23, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
UPDATE: It’s official. Marquis will undergo Tommy John surgery, knocking him out until at least the middle of next season.
Jason Marquis has a 4.05 ERA in 35 starts since joining the Padres in the middle of last year, but the veteran right-hander will miss the remainder of the season with an elbow injury.
Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Marquis “has significant damage to the ulnar collateral ligament,” which is the injury that leads to Tommy John surgery. For now no decision has been made about surgery, but his season is over and at age 34 his career is in jeopardy too.
Marquis signed a cheap deal with the Padres last season after being released by the Twins in May and then re-signed with San Diego on a one-year, $3 million deal this winter.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 0
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)