Jul 23, 2013, 11:37 PM EST
Angels starter Joe Blanton has the third-worst ERA in baseball at 5.66. That, and a recent confrontation with pitching coach Mike Butcher, are reasons the Angels are looking to remove him from the rotation.
“We’re working on a couple things now,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. “We’re going to see where we are and we’ll have a decision.”
“Joe has put every effort into trying to be the pitcher he can be,” Scioscia said. “Right now, it’s very clear he is struggling with some of the basic things he needs to do to be that pitcher.”
Blanton is scheduled to start on Saturday in Oakland against the Athletics. The Angels are in a tough spot since they don’t have many options to jump into the rotation and contribute on a long-term basis. And they’re not in a position where they want to trade for a pitcher considering their record and standing as it pertains to the AL West and Wild Card races.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)