Jul 23, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Reds third base coach Mark Berry was diagnosed with throat cancer during spring training and sat out the first two-and-half months of the season while undergoing treatment.
Berry returned to the Reds last night and resumed coaching third base, which is a job he’s done for a decade now as part of a 30-year run in the Reds organization.
Berry talked to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com about his treatment back in June and it sounded pretty miserable, including a 40-pound weight loss, so it’s great to know he’s feeling strong enough to coach again.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)