Jul 23, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Looking to shake things up after a dreadful offensive dry spell, the Marlins promoted top prospect and outfielder Christian Yelich and immediately tossed him in the #2 spot in the lineup, along with fellow top prospect and outfielder Jake Marisnick, for tonight’s game against the Rockies. Yelich responded, getting three hits in his first three at-bats and driving in two key runs as the Marlins went on to defeat the Rockies 4-2.
Yelich joins Stanton & Redmond as only #Marlins with 3 hits in ML debut. His 2 RBI are surpassed only by Jeremy Hermida (4) in a debut game.
— Glenn Geffner (@GlennGeffner) July 24, 2013
Marlins rookie Christian Yelich is the 1st MLB player with 3 hits and 2 RBI in his debut since J.P. Arencibia for the Blue Jays in 2010.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 24, 2013
The Marlins drafted Yelich in the first round, 23rd overall, in the 2010 amateur draft. He spent most of the season with Double-A Jacksonville, the first time in his career the 21-year-old had been above A-ball.
Marisnick, also making his Major League debut, went 0-for-4.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)