Jul 23, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Looking to shake things up after a dreadful offensive dry spell, the Marlins promoted top prospect and outfielder Christian Yelich and immediately tossed him in the #2 spot in the lineup, along with fellow top prospect and outfielder Jake Marisnick, for tonight’s game against the Rockies. Yelich responded, getting three hits in his first three at-bats and driving in two key runs as the Marlins went on to defeat the Rockies 4-2.
Yelich joins Stanton & Redmond as only #Marlins with 3 hits in ML debut. His 2 RBI are surpassed only by Jeremy Hermida (4) in a debut game.
— Glenn Geffner (@GlennGeffner) July 24, 2013
Marlins rookie Christian Yelich is the 1st MLB player with 3 hits and 2 RBI in his debut since J.P. Arencibia for the Blue Jays in 2010.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 24, 2013
The Marlins drafted Yelich in the first round, 23rd overall, in the 2010 amateur draft. He spent most of the season with Double-A Jacksonville, the first time in his career the 21-year-old had been above A-ball.
Marisnick, also making his Major League debut, went 0-for-4.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)