Jul 23, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Looking to shake things up after a dreadful offensive dry spell, the Marlins promoted top prospect and outfielder Christian Yelich and immediately tossed him in the #2 spot in the lineup, along with fellow top prospect and outfielder Jake Marisnick, for tonight’s game against the Rockies. Yelich responded, getting three hits in his first three at-bats and driving in two key runs as the Marlins went on to defeat the Rockies 4-2.
Yelich joins Stanton & Redmond as only #Marlins with 3 hits in ML debut. His 2 RBI are surpassed only by Jeremy Hermida (4) in a debut game.
— Glenn Geffner (@GlennGeffner) July 24, 2013
Marlins rookie Christian Yelich is the 1st MLB player with 3 hits and 2 RBI in his debut since J.P. Arencibia for the Blue Jays in 2010.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 24, 2013
The Marlins drafted Yelich in the first round, 23rd overall, in the 2010 amateur draft. He spent most of the season with Double-A Jacksonville, the first time in his career the 21-year-old had been above A-ball.
Marisnick, also making his Major League debut, went 0-for-4.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)