Jul 23, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Looking to shake things up after a dreadful offensive dry spell, the Marlins promoted top prospect and outfielder Christian Yelich and immediately tossed him in the #2 spot in the lineup, along with fellow top prospect and outfielder Jake Marisnick, for tonight’s game against the Rockies. Yelich responded, getting three hits in his first three at-bats and driving in two key runs as the Marlins went on to defeat the Rockies 4-2.
Yelich joins Stanton & Redmond as only #Marlins with 3 hits in ML debut. His 2 RBI are surpassed only by Jeremy Hermida (4) in a debut game.
— Glenn Geffner (@GlennGeffner) July 24, 2013
Marlins rookie Christian Yelich is the 1st MLB player with 3 hits and 2 RBI in his debut since J.P. Arencibia for the Blue Jays in 2010.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) July 24, 2013
The Marlins drafted Yelich in the first round, 23rd overall, in the 2010 amateur draft. He spent most of the season with Double-A Jacksonville, the first time in his career the 21-year-old had been above A-ball.
Marisnick, also making his Major League debut, went 0-for-4.
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 0
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 28
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)