Jul 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Most teams would feel embarrassed after getting shut out in an entire series the way the Marlins were by the Brewers. The Marlins, though, seem more impervious to public sentiment than most, so it wouldn’t have been shocking if they just stood pat and hoped to bounce back they way they seemed to throughout June and most of July. They didn’t, however — the Marlins demoted outfielder Marcell Ozuna and second baseman Derek Dietrich to Double-A Jacksonville, and promoted outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Rockies. Yelich will bat second and play left field, Marisnick will bat sixth and play center field.
Ozuna started off his Major League career on fire, posting an .834 OPS in the month of May, but as he logged more plate appearances and pitchers learned more about his weaknesses, he was quickly exploited. In June, he posted a .685 OPS, and in July, merely .484. Dietrich performed exactly at replacement level, posting a .679 OPS with subpar defense since making his Major League debut on May 8.
Yelich entered the season as one of the 15 best prospects in baseball according to both Baseball America and MLB.com. Still just 21 years old, he performed well against Double-A competition in 222 PA, leaving with an .883 OPS. Marisnick was rated as the #64 overall prospect by Baseball America and #70 by MLB.com. In 298 PA at Double-A, he had an .860 OPS.
After snapping their streak of 37 consecutive scoreless innings yesterday, the Marlins are hoping to end a skid in which they have lost nine of their previous 13 games. They own the National League’s worst offense (averaging 3.2 runs per game), and subsequently, the worst run differential (-96) as well.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 8
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)