Jul 23, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Most teams would feel embarrassed after getting shut out in an entire series the way the Marlins were by the Brewers. The Marlins, though, seem more impervious to public sentiment than most, so it wouldn’t have been shocking if they just stood pat and hoped to bounce back they way they seemed to throughout June and most of July. They didn’t, however — the Marlins demoted outfielder Marcell Ozuna and second baseman Derek Dietrich to Double-A Jacksonville, and promoted outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick. Both are in tonight’s starting lineup against the Rockies. Yelich will bat second and play left field, Marisnick will bat sixth and play center field.
Ozuna started off his Major League career on fire, posting an .834 OPS in the month of May, but as he logged more plate appearances and pitchers learned more about his weaknesses, he was quickly exploited. In June, he posted a .685 OPS, and in July, merely .484. Dietrich performed exactly at replacement level, posting a .679 OPS with subpar defense since making his Major League debut on May 8.
Yelich entered the season as one of the 15 best prospects in baseball according to both Baseball America and MLB.com. Still just 21 years old, he performed well against Double-A competition in 222 PA, leaving with an .883 OPS. Marisnick was rated as the #64 overall prospect by Baseball America and #70 by MLB.com. In 298 PA at Double-A, he had an .860 OPS.
After snapping their streak of 37 consecutive scoreless innings yesterday, the Marlins are hoping to end a skid in which they have lost nine of their previous 13 games. They own the National League’s worst offense (averaging 3.2 runs per game), and subsequently, the worst run differential (-96) as well.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
The former All-Star and former prospect is back in the bush leagues.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
Howie Kendrick Lamar.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Awful news for one of baseball’s toughest customers.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Crawford may be joining Yasiel Puig on the shelf.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Turning back into a pumpkin?
Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Baseball takes a back seat as unrest continues in Baltimore.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
CSNBaltimore.com’s Orioles beat reporter Rich Dubroff on his experience Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Returning to Houston as a free agent on a three-year, $23 million contract, Lowrie is off to a very strong start.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The fan was taken from Wrigley Field in an ambulance.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
In calling up Cole for his debut the Nationals bypassed Tanner Roark.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
They’re right not to be.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Note to Nori Aoki: if the ball is heading to center field against the Dodgers, you want to get back to the bag more quickly.
Apr 28, 2015, 7:21 AM EDT
The Mets continue to be Amazin’.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to play through a small crack in his left rib, but he’ll now get an extended absence.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The Mets are now 15-5 on the young season and already hold an eight-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
The Nationals mapped out a plan that could have had Rendon make his season debut as soon as Thursday against the Mets, but that’s on hold for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are reportedly among the potential landing spots for Saltalamacchia.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Bailey is coming off flexor tendon surgery. Could Tommy John surgery be next?
Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
McCarthy appears headed for season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Adam Ottavino was just named as the Rockies closer two weeks ago, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right triceps inflammation.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)