Matt Kemp doesn’t want the 2011 NL MVP award

Jul 23, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

kemp getty Getty Images

Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp narrowly lost the 2011 NL Most Valuable Player award to Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun. That the two were separated by about 60 points in voting illustrates just how close the race was. Now that we’ve learned that Braun did, in fact, use performance-enhancing drugs, that race isn’t nearly as close for a lot of people. Some have suggested retroactively naming Kemp the 2011 NL MVP and stripping Braun of his award.

Kemp isn’t one of those people. He thinks he lost the 2011 NL MVP race fair and square as it was chosen not by Braun but by writers. Via Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times:

“Honestly, it doesn’t have anything to do with me,” Kemp said. “I was in a race to win the MVP, I got second. It is what it is. The voters had an opinion about who they wanted to pick as the MVP. That’s who they picked, that’s who they felt was the MVP. You have to respect them for that. The other stuff, it is what it is, man. For me, all I’m worried about is getting healthy and getting back on the field and helping my team win.”

Hernandez added this bit, showing that Kemp may feel at least somewhat deserving of the award:

“It would definitely be nice to have a MVP trophy,” he said. “But I didn’t win the MVP. I lost. I got second.”

To a cheater, he was a reminded.

“Yeah…. OK.… Yeah,” he said, smiling.

Kemp did say Braun should be stripped of the award, per MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick:

“Do I feel like it should be stripped? I mean, yeah, I do,” Kemp said. “I feel like it should be, but that’s not for me to decide, you know? That’s not for me to decide.”

As for Kemp’s ailing ankle suffered sliding into Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki on Sunday, the team will decide tomorrow if he will need another stint on the disabled list, according to Gurnick.

1. biasedhomer - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Love or hate the Dodgers, Matt Kemp is a class act.

• ezthinking - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM

And a lazy fuck that hurt his ankle dogging it to home. Say what you want about Braun, he deserves all the criticism, but Kemp is has never ‘played the game the right way.’

He’s lazy and disinterested in the game or winning. It just shows that an athlete does not make a baseball player.

• eightyraw - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM

This can’t possibly be because Braun is white and Kemp is black, right?

• jimeejohnson - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

It’s cause thinking is not easy. Ever hear of Jackie Robinson?

• jm91rs - Jul 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

eightyraw, It’s super lazy to just assume someone’s dislike of a player has anything at all to do with skin color. I find your attempt to call out racism where there likely is none very annoying.

• bronco58lb - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:32 PM

His penis was inside Rihanna.

• Old Gator - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Looks like they let the babysitter off early tonight.

• bigmeechy74 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I’m sure he has had way hotter non-famous chicks

2. eightyraw - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Well, this can only mean that Matt Kemp also cheated.

• dlhouse18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That’s exactly what came to my mind too.

• eightyraw - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Was your thought sarcastic, like mine was?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

“This can’t possibly be because Braun is white and Kemp is black, right?”

Again with this? Dude…your CD is skipping.
      You are doing yourself (all of us) no favors with your constant race card.
      I will say it again…much like the boy who cried wolf (people start tuning you out).

• eightyraw - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Constant? When was the last time I discussed race here? And what other explanation is there for calling Matt Kemp “lazy as fuck” and “disinterested in winning”? There is no such thing as a race card; bringing prejudicial reasoning to light should not be frowned upon. On an unrelated note, ellipses are not substitutes for commas.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The last time I personally read one was a couple of weeks ago. And just because you say there is “no such thing as a race card” doesn’t make it true. Of course there is. When someone immediately jumps at a conclusion that a person’s comment(s) is/are racial (without having any idea where this person is coming from)…you are playing it. If I were a white dude who accuses black dudes of being racist as a result of me not liking something that person said…I would be playing the race card. Again…the more you play it the more luster it losses. Again…much like the boy who cried wolf. As for ellipses not being a substitute for commas…please know I hate commas. I think comma’s suck ass. Nonetheless…thank you for the lesson Mrs. Reynolds.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Have you ever considered the possibility that he may simple NOT like Matt Kemp?
        I know…crazy, crazy possibility. Sometimes it helps if you at least try (or pretend) to appreciate where someone is coming from.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

stLouis: anyone who claims good athletes don’t make good ballplayers is either a fat piece of crap, an ignorant loser, or racist. Believe it my Conservative friend.

• eightyraw - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I can understand not liking Matt Kemp. That’s not what is going on here. The person doesn’t claim to dislike Matt Kemp. He/she resorts to unsubstantiated nonsense about Kemp’s desire. Calls Matt Kemp lazy. Says he has NEVER played the right way and that doesn’t care about winning. Again, this is Matt Kemp we are talking about, who in 2011 managed to drag his lazy ass thru a not-caring 161 games of being the fourth best hitter in baseball while playing a premium defensive position.

And sorry but were are going to have to disagree about “race card”. Saying/resorting to “race card” ignores and trivializes the conscious and subconscious racism that pervades our nation. The people who discuss such a concept are quite often those who hate to be confronted with the existence of racism. Oh look – we can just dismiss racism by saying someone is silly for playing a card! I guess I should only point out the most blatant examples of racist thoughts and/or actions from now on. I don’t want my card to lose its luster! You see how ridiculous this concept is, right?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

No…I don’t. Again…when it is irresponsibly thrown around like a post it note it very much losses it’s steam. Which ultimately does all of us a disservice. Some people jump to “this person is a moron” or “this person is an idiot.” This is generally the conclusion I immediately jump to (unless proven otherwise). Others jump to “that person is racist.” So I do agree with you on one point. We are going to have to disagree on this particular topic. In the future…I will try to do a better job w/ my replies. Specifically…I will try to only post “FAIL”….”in my opinion.” Fair enough?

• eightyraw - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Stop it with this “does all of us a disservice” nonsense. You speak for yourself. I would also like to point out, for the sake of clarification, that I did not call anyone a racist (not that you claim I did). Hell, I didn’t even jump to a conclusion because I asked a question. Is there a reason for why the original poster thinks Matt Kemp is a lazy ballplayer who doesn’t play the right way (whatever the hell that even means)? We sure can’t cross racial prejudice off the list of possibilities.

Maybe when we reach something closely approximating racial equality, people can stop pointing out racial biases at a frequency that you find off-putting. Sound good?

• jm91rs - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Eightyraw, I think you’re being racist for assuming someone calling a black person lazy is a racist thing to say. I for one am offended by your obvious opinion that we are lazy people. I took no offense at the comment that Matt Kemp is lazy. I don’t follow his team so I have no idea if he is, but it doesn’t bother me every time someone says something bad about someone that looks like me (ok skin tone, unfortunately I think many people will say I don’t quite have Matt Kemp’s looks).

In your effort to call out racism, you’re making racist assumptions. You’re either an ignorant white man (or woman) sticking up for a cause that doesn’t need your help on something so petty, or you’re an ignorant black man (or woman) who looks for prejudice as an excuse to hold him down.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Wow…level headed AND a Redlegs fan.
        That’s a tough pill for me to swallow JM! Lol!

• jm91rs - Jul 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I should clarify that I don’t think all black men that pull the race card are looking for excuses to hold them down, I just wish we would have an open mind sometimes and not find offense where there is none intended.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I am not going to “stop it” because this is how I truly feel.
      And while you didn’t call him a racist…you certainly insinuated as much (if not jumped to a conclusion). At the very least…you asking a very leading question while patronizing him.

“whatever the hell that even means.” I agree with you on this point.
      How can you begin to even define such a thing? Lol!
      Based upon some of his other posts…I chalk it up to him being a troll (for the most part).

• eightyraw - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM

You may truly feel that I am doing us (who is “us”?) a disservice, but this is simply not true. I am an anonymous commenter on a baseball blog. The impact this discussion has on racism is minimal. I am doing no one a disservice.

Pointing out a possible/likely racial bias is nowhere near calling someone a racist. Practically everyone has subconscious racial biases. Being aware of them is a step in a positive direction.

I will not apologize for patronizing someone who made such an ignorant comment (all race-related questions aside).

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Last word. Hahaha! Sorry Man. I had to do it…but please know I am joking.
      Gotta’ go. Softball night.
      Have a good evening.

3. modellforprez - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:24 PM

i agree with you too Matt. all of his and all of the cheats should have their stats records everything they brought to baseball erased.

• cohnjusack - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Uh-huh. So, for example, Troy Glaus was on the Mitchell Report, right? You now, the 2002 World Series MVP. Should we all bust out our calculators, discover (impossibly) exactly how much impact he had on the series and possibly alter the outcome of the series?

Or, do we just accept the fact that statistics are merely a reflection of what happened on the field and stop caring so much about the fucking sanctity the record books.

• cohnjusack - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The no cheats MVP winners! It goes without saying that if you ever cheated, you lose ALL of your awards Roger Clemens!

2011 NL MVP:
        WAS: Ryan Brain NOW: Matt Kemp

2007 AL MVP:
        WAS: Alex Rodiguez NOW: Maggio Ordonez….wait…there’s some controversy there as Canseco said he used, so it goes to Vlad Guerrero

2005 AL MVP:
        WAS: Alex Rodriguez NOW: Vlad Guerrero (David Ortiz finished second, but he is clearly a no)

2005 AL CY YOUNG
        WAS: Bartolo Colon, NOW: Mariano Rivera

2004 NL MVP:
        WAS: Barry Bonds NOW: Adrian Beltre

2004 NL CY YOUNG
        WAS: Roger Clemens NOW: Randy Johnson (it should have been Randy Johnson anyway)

2003 NL MVP
        WAS: Barry Bonds, NOW: Albert Pujols

2003 AL MVP
        WAS: Alex Rodriguez NOW: Carlos Delgado

2003 NL CY YOUNG
        WAS: Eric Gange NOW: Jason Schmidt

2002 NL MVP
        WAS: Barry Bonds, NOW: Albert Pujols

2002 AL MVP
        WAS: Miguel Cabrera NOW: Alfonso Soriano (A-Rod was 2nd in the voting)

2001 NL MVP
        WAS: Barry Bonds NOW: Luis Gonzalez?

2001 AL CY YOUNG

WAS: Roger Clemens NOW: Pedro Martinez

1997 AL CY YOUNG
        WAS: Roger Clemens NOW: Randy Johnson

1996 NL MVP
        WAS: Ken Caminiti, NOW: Mike Piazza

1996 AL MVP
        WAS: Juan Gonzalez NOW: Albert Belle…I guess.

1995 AL MVP
        WAS: Mo Vaughn, NOW: Albert Belle

Alright…I’m tired of this. I still have 3 more Barry Bonds MVPs, 3 more Cy Young’s for Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco’s MVP, Mike Scott’s ball doctoring, Gaylord Perry’s spitballing and all the guys who took amphetamines. Just saying, if we wish to retroactively strip awards for cheaters, I’m gonna enter the trophy making business stat!

• dondada10 - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Miguel Tejada won the 2002 MVP.

• dlhouse18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Belle used a corked bat, so I’d hate to give him any awards either. Sure, it’s not to the extent of steroids, but if you you said “no cheats” and cheating is cheating.

• dlhouse18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Belle used a corked bat, so I’d hate to give him any awards either. Sure, it’s not to the extent of steroids, but if you said “no cheats” and cheating is cheating.

• dlhouse18 - Jul 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I downvoted myself for the double post. Sorry

• cohnjusack - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Miguel Tejada won the 2002 MVP

Why yes…that was a pretty spectacular screwup. I get points for getting the first name right though…right?

• historiophiliac - Jul 24, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I liked it the first way.

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Awesome post Cusack. I am sure you had to do finger exercises at the end.
        But a great post nonetheless.

• mlblogsbig3bosox - Jul 24, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Miguel Cabrera won the AL MVP before even debuting? Awesome!

4. paul621 - Jul 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM

As I asked in another post, did MLB or Braun ever tie this suspension/admission back to the 2011 season? I thought Biogenesis was 2012.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:12 AM

You are correct. We don’t know anything because all the statements have been vague, but we do know that Braun had a family emergency on the Fri after ASG and that his season has been complicated by injury. We also this is the last year he is set to make less than $10 million and that Bud Selig wants to retire next year with the legacy he desires.

All assumptions are on the table.

5. cohnjusack - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yeah, I bet it would feel really great to be given an MVP trophy from two years before because someone else was stripped of it. Not only will your performance that year not actually be mentioned because all the focus will be on the player who was stripped of the trophy, but as an added bonus, you get inserted into the controversy! A win-win if you’re Matt Kemp!

6. sandrafluke2012 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

So, does someone else deserve Barry’s 04 MVP, Matt? Oh, so it’s different? Kinda like the OJ vs Trayvon thing?

• cohnjusack - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Umm…okay, I’m sorry. OJ vs Trayvon Martin?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Rushbot, you so funny. Adrian Beltre was the man in 2004…. .334 ba, 48 hr, 121 rbi. Contract year. Scott Boras as his agent. He hadn’t hit more than 23 hrs till then; hadn’t topped .290 ba. Probably was strung out on amphetamines.

Not real sure why you’re bringing up Trayvon Martin and OJ Simpson other than you are clearly a Rushbot which means you’ve probably got some white man’s anxiety over the fact that you’re a total loser.

7. kingscourt25 - Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Could’ve all been avoided by rightfully giving the award to Kemp in 2011

8. soxpower - Jul 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM

FUCK MATT KEMP WHAT ABOUT FRANK THOMAS WHO HAD HIS 3RD MVP STOLEN FROM HIM FROM JASON GIAMBI

9. erbaodai - Jul 24, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Roids or no roids Matt Kemp should win the MVP. Braun had way better protection and played in a bandbox, yet was still statistically inferior to Kemp. Voters simply voted him because he was on a better team, which is as absurd as using Wins to determine Cy Young.

• nbjays - Jul 24, 2013 at 7:04 AM

“What? We’re not supposed to use wins to determine the Cy Young?” — all members of the BBWAA.

10. mottershead1972 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

It was a fun list tho….

11. mathieug79 - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Matt Kemp is horrible this season!! let the speculations begin!

• nsauser - Jul 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Yea, he’s probably off the juice. How many trips to the DL this year?

I’m really surprised Kemp held back from demanding the award, he strikes me as that kind of guy.

12. omniusprime - Jul 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Cheating Clown Braun deserves to be stripped of every award he’s ever gotten from MLB and he should never be allowed to play the game again. Unfortunately Bud Selig is just as corrupt as all of the steroid cheaters, in fact the MLB is just as corrupt as the Mafia. That’s why I have such extreme disdain for pro sports, but especially pro baseball.

Until someone proves that Matt Kemp used steroids then Matt deserves to be given the 2011 MVP that he actually earned. Unlike that piece of human filth Cheating Clown Braun Matt Kemp has shown his class by denying he deserves the award retroactively. If Cheating Cl;own Braun had any class at all he’d give the awards back and give all the fans a sincere apology for cheating, but we all know this worthless piece of baseball garbage will never show this kind of honesty and integrity, after all he is a pro ball player more caught up in himself than the game.

• jimeejohnson - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM

You still mad bout the Lakers?

• stlouis1baseball - Jul 24, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I hear what you are saying Jimee. And I mean that. But the dude didn’t consider the other possibilities. Immediately jumping to ONE conclusion. ONE conclusion I am personally tired of seeing made. Again…it doesn’t do any of us any favors.
        After awhile…people tune it out.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2515)