Matt Kemp doesn’t want the 2011 NL MVP award

Jul 23, 2013, 9:00 PM EST

kemp getty Getty Images

Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp narrowly lost the 2011 NL Most Valuable Player award to Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun. That the two were separated by about 60 points in voting illustrates just how close the race was. Now that we’ve learned that Braun did, in fact, use performance-enhancing drugs, that race isn’t nearly as close for a lot of people. Some have suggested retroactively naming Kemp the 2011 NL MVP and stripping Braun of his award.

Kemp isn’t one of those people. He thinks he lost the 2011 NL MVP race fair and square as it was chosen not by Braun but by writers. Via Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times:

“Honestly, it doesn’t have anything to do with me,” Kemp said. “I was in a race to win the MVP, I got second. It is what it is. The voters had an opinion about who they wanted to pick as the MVP. That’s who they picked, that’s who they felt was the MVP. You have to respect them for that. The other stuff, it is what it is, man. For me, all I’m worried about is getting healthy and getting back on the field and helping my team win.”

Hernandez added this bit, showing that Kemp may feel at least somewhat deserving of the award:

“It would definitely be nice to have a MVP trophy,” he said. “But I didn’t win the MVP. I lost. I got second.”

To a cheater, he was a reminded.

“Yeah…. OK.… Yeah,” he said, smiling.

Kemp did say Braun should be stripped of the award, per MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick:

“Do I feel like it should be stripped? I mean, yeah, I do,” Kemp said. “I feel like it should be, but that’s not for me to decide, you know? That’s not for me to decide.”

As for Kemp’s ailing ankle suffered sliding into Nationals catcher Kurt Suzuki on Sunday, the team will decide tomorrow if he will need another stint on the disabled list, according to Gurnick.

Latest Posts
  1. Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year

Feb 27, 2015, 11:03 AM EST

Aramis Ramirez Getty Images

When he’s done he’ll have played 18 years in the bigs and will be pushing 400 homers.

2. Royals are only looking at Joe Blanton as a reliever

Feb 27, 2015, 10:47 AM EST

Joe Blanton AP

“The only way he is really going to help us is in the bullpen.”

3. Bartolo Colon may be the Mets’ Opening Day starter

Feb 27, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Bartolo Colon

Yes, this is mostly just an excuse to post a picture of Bartolo Colon

4. Giants sign Ronny Cedeno

Feb 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EST

Atlanta Braves v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Cedeno had a brief stint in the majors last season with the Phillies.

5. Didi Gregorius is probably pretty grateful for the A-Rod circus

Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST

Didi Gregorious AP

Everyone worried that A-Rod would be a “distraction.” Well, he has been. And that’s a good thing.

6. We need Kafka to cover Yankees spring training

Feb 27, 2015, 9:24 AM EST

Kafka

Cashman and Girardi were poked constantly yesterday. They eventually responded. And the media seems to believe this is A-Rod’s fault.

7. Craig Kimbrel is messing with a changeup

Feb 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 8.24.38 AM AP

Because he wasn’t dominant enough as it was.

8. Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games”

Feb 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

But Major League Baseball is also trying to be “compassionate,” and is thus still not close to a decision.

9. Wanna hear Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig attempt a comedy routine?

Feb 27, 2015, 7:41 AM EST

Ruth Gehrig

Gehrig on going to Columbia: “I was seven years in the Freshman class!”

10. Mets don’t intend to talk extension with Daniel Murphy

Feb 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Daniel Murphy AP AP

While Daniel Murphy would like to discuss a contract extension with the Mets, it looks like a foregone conclusion that he will test free agency after the 2015 season.

11. Nick Markakis apologizes for his comments regarding contract talks with the Orioles

Feb 26, 2015, 9:49 PM EST

Nick Markakis AP AP

Braves outfielder Nick Markakis recently expressed frustration about how contract talks with the Orioles broke down over the winter.

12. Shane Victorino is ready to go back to switch-hitting

Feb 26, 2015, 8:40 PM EST

Shane Victorino Getty Getty Images

Victorino gave up hitting from the left side late in 2013, but he’s ready to give it another shot.

13. Matt Harvey tentatively scheduled to make spring debut on March 6

Feb 26, 2015, 7:15 PM EST

Matt Harvey AP AP

It will be Harvey’s first game action since he underwent Tommy John surgery 16 months ago.

14. Blue Jays sign Johan Santana

Feb 26, 2015, 6:06 PM EST

Johan Santana Getty Getty Images

Santana hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2012 due to injury.

15. Barry Zito on his one-year retirement: “You want to be back in that game so bad”

Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”

16. What’s driving the A-Rod media circus? The media, of course.

Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.

1. J. Hamilton (4489)